Hello from the Netherlands!

Hi all!
First post! Really nice to meet you all!

I am a cartoonist and writer from the Netherlands. I have been experimenting with adding little portraits of characters to theater play scripts to see if that makes such scripts easier to read for larger audiences.

Maybe not, but I am having a hell of a lot of fun with it! (So I do think I'm on to something.)

Thought I'd try see if I can embed one of these portraits here! 8-)

I started with public domain plays, and published a book with them, with my illustrations.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toneel-Op-Papier-Passende-Partners/dp/9464486139/

It's in Dutch, sorry... You can read the English versions of these same plays on my website (*with* the illustrations):

https://www.ayalpinkus.nl/

But now I want to start writing my own material. I want to see if I can write my own sketches. You can see my first feeble attempt at it on my website.

I love British comedy: Fawlty Towers and Spitting Image are among my favorites. But many more of course! You have such a rich tradition in comedy!

I wish I had found these amazing forums sooner and I look forward to participating in the skit competitions in the critique sections. I'm really excited to be here.

Welcome ?

Hi Ayal, I'm a cartoonist(mainly) and writer(occasionally) too. Welcome!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th April 2022, 4:28 PM

Welcome ?

Thank you!

Quote: beaky @ 28th April 2022, 5:36 PM

Hi Ayal, I'm a cartoonist(mainly) and writer(occasionally) too. Welcome!

Thank you, and looking forward to checking out your work!

Quote: Ayal Pinkus @ 28th April 2022, 7:40 PM

Thank you, and looking forward to checking out your work!

beaky is our most famous poster. ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th April 2022, 11:41 PM

beaky is our most famous poster. ?

That would be just like me, to insert foot in mouth like that! (I also saw other writers who worked on shows I loved on these forums. I'm in awe of this place!)

Beaky, I love your cartoons! Of course! Reminds me of Glenn Marshall's style a bit, though you don't draw a Marshall nose! Or Kipper Williams, Guy Venables... there is a recognizable school I think. I mean, it's different! But clearly from the same school, right? (Sorry, I can't seem to stop pushing my foot in deeper.)

I'll try to pull my foot out of my throat now. Seems I deep-throated myself with my leg.

I guess that's an idea for a sketch, then. Someone meets a celebrity and can't stop themselves from insulting that celebrity. "So, what do you do for a living?"

Reminds me of Mitchell and Webb's Brain Surgeon sketch.
And I'm not famous! All the cartoonists you mentioned are friends of mine - the world of published cartoonists is a small and friendly one.

Although highly competitive, the bastards!

Quote: beaky @ 29th April 2022, 8:20 AM

And I'm not famous!

You're too modest - what with your main work and a sitcom aired, compared to my nonentity status. ?

Can I have your autograph, mister?

And me.

I'll sign any cheques made out to me!