Tutti Frutti

I pretty sure that this is a sitcom but apologies if I have selected the wrong thread for this.

It's just out on DVD and I am thinking of buying it. However I remember laughing at it years ago but my memories of this show are fading. Is it any good and what is the main premise of it? Does this show still hold up today?

Cheers.

More of a comedy drama James, but a classic one from the days when the BBC were still making top quality progs. It will have dated in the 20 years since it was aired but I am sure there will still be much to admire in this very well written and very well acted series. I think it won BAFTAs and it had notable performances from Emma Thompson and Robbie Coltrane among others I don't remember. Set in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I think, it was a story about a group of old mates who form a 50s rocknroll style band, hence the title. It was definitely funny but I can't remember how funny, I think it was more a case of being exrtremely well written and well performed, more in that Bill Forysth style of off beat, droll Scottish humour, but I could be wrong on that, because I haven't seen it since it was first aired. It is definitely worth owning, but like I say, it's probably dated very badly, including in its style. I remember I loved it and made sure I saw every episode, so I might look at getting it myself. Hope that's of some help and apologies if I've got some details wrong. Mr Kipper. ScotlandGeekScotland (Robbie Coltrane)

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/26/55/-/9236439/Tutti-Frutti/Product.html]
[h=951785]

49 customer reviews on Amazon have placed it at 4.5 out of 5 stars. That probably says enough to buy it, if you're erring. :)

Good show, from what I can dimly remember. Although it struck me as more comedy-drama?

Just bought it at a good price, says new, so I'll go with it. I expect it won't be quite as good as I remember, as these things often aren't 30 odd years after only one viewing but we'll see. Repeated a few months later then never shown again on English TV due to, wait for it (I didn't know this till I read Wiki today) Little Richard. Little bastard. ?

For some bizarre reason I always get this muddled up with Takin' Over the Asylum, which was very good.

It was on BBC iPlayer about year ago. I watched the first episode and was looking forward to it, but just could not get into it. It's not laugh out loud funny, as someone posted earlier more like Bill Forsyth subtle comedy.

With John Byrne's sensational caricatures

Wow, I half-remember. Good series but not exactly a laughterfest.

Quote: smc4761 @ 25th March 2022, 7:34 PM

It was on BBC iPlayer about year ago. I watched the first episode and was looking forward to it, but just could not get into it. It's not laugh out loud funny, as someone posted earlier more like Bill Forsyth subtle comedy.

Just watched ep1 (and half of ep2) and it is slow to get going, a lot of back story and set up but it has six hours to fill, don't forget. Very much a Robbie Coltrane vehicle so far, and he can even sing a bit.

My main memory of this, is Richard Wilson's other 'catchphrase'..........,the way he said "Miss Toner"