Breeders

New comedy starring Martin Freeman and Daisy Haggard written by Simon Blackwell of The Thick of It fame.

I liked it, you certainly felt the frustrations of the characters although Freeman in particular is a little difficult to sympathise with at the moment.

I enjoyed it a lot too. Some big laughs. Feels like the X-rated (language) version of Outnumbered.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th March 2020, 12:51 PM

Feels like the X-rated (language) version of Outnumbered.

Which just goes to prove, given the success and popularity of Outnumbered, that the "X-rated language" in this was unnecessary and detrimental.

Most recent episode - the scattering of the ashes - was great. Overall it's a really good series, very consistent. Both leads are terrific. It's up there with the three best series of Catastrophe - I'm pretty sure it was the third series (out of four) I wasn't so keen on.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th April 2020, 3:11 PM

I rather lost interest in this series after the first few seconds when Martin Freeman's character walked into the bedroom of his very young son and even younger daughter and started effing and jeffing at them as if he was talking to his mates down the local boozer.

I've known a lot of parents in my time - some quite posh, some as common as muck, and a great many in between - and I've never known any of them to use language like at their very young children.

What planet is he supposed to be from?

My thoughts exactly. Which was what prompted my post a month ago...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th March 2020, 8:02 PM

... ... the "X-rated language" in this was unnecessary and detrimental.

Does anyone know the name of the village (I suppose) where the scenes around the church were filmed in episode 6?

I thought this had potential but let down by a couple of less than captivating arcs and the swearing felt so contrived and excessive, unnecessary (the first time I've ever really cringed at swearing in sitcoms).
I thought it lacked all the charm of outnumbered (i.e. the kids element) and only just about managed to stick with this to the end. I'll probably tune in to the new season when it drops in March but not enthusiastically, just because the balance between spare time and new comedy releases has tipped in recent times.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th April 2020, 5:07 PM

My thoughts exactly. Which was what prompted my post a month ago...

Somebody rewriting history. I see that original post has been deleted.

Anyway I knew someone really well who used to swear all the time in front of her kids.

What an utterly useless end to a series. No plot lines tied up, a complete waste of time.

I tried it once (and didn't like it!) We currently have NowTV and I've pushed through. Martin Freeman's character, Paul, is aggressively sweary and the son, Luke, is a whining manipulative git. I've got up to S3 Ep1 and wonder whether I am going to continue?