Ghosts - Series 1 Page 14

You've not said anything racist at all.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th May 2019, 9:24 AM

But (the interracial marriage) still isn't rare enough to make it in anyway unrealistic.

I agree.

I've suggested that the diversity of the Scout troop was unrealistic and I've suggested that such unrealistic portrayals of the society in which we live(d) do the diversity initiative no favours.

However, I haven't suggested that the interracial couple were unrealistic. I've suggested that the 8% probability of such a couple cropping up by chance suggests that they were chosen, not by chance, but deliberately in a commendably bold move made with the diversity initiative very much in the forefront of the BBC's mind.

In a properly implemented diversity strategy, the inclusion of members of the relevant groups must appear seamless. It must never appear fake or forced. Only that way will the strategy work, and only that way will viewers who currently see members of those groups as outsiders come to realise that those people whom they currently regard as "different" are in fact remarkably similar to everybody else in all the ways that matter.

God, this thread is becoming tiresome...............Sleepy

Go elsewhere then!

Nothing significant about the casting of the couple.
The Cubs bit was a very brief scene. So don't agree.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th May 2019, 1:17 PM

The Cubs bit was a very brief scene.

About 100 seconds, I believe.

You make an interesting point, however, because I'm in the process of writing a sitcom episode in which a scoutmaster is seen buggering five young scouts for about the same length of time. It's all played for laughs but the production company is giving me absolute hell about it.

I'm going to hit them with "It's a very brief scene."

Let's see how they get out of that one.

Cheers!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th May 2019, 2:03 PM

(Although actually I think it's been suggested one of the characters is gay already, come to think it?)

Yes, the Captain definitely swings that way!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th May 2019, 5:10 PM

Regarding mixed-race married couples, according to the 2011 census, only 8% of married couples in Britain are mixed race (and they are very rare indeed outside our major cities). Whether we like it or not, such marriages remain controversial among all but the most liberal groups in our society. Accordingly, it seems more than likely that the inheriting couple's inter-ethnicity was deliberate rather than accidental - and intended solely to put ticks into diversity boxes.

I welcome diversity on TV - but not when it misrepresents the society it purports to depict.

This would be a fair point if you were making it about Adefope's character, Kitty: I propose that black women in 17th/18th Century Britain of a social standing to be dressed as she is to be as common as a hen's tooth. Those of such an ethnic background who were in the country at that time would have been far more likely to be of a social status to dress far more like Katy Wix.

But there really is nothing remotely eye-opening about the ethnic mix of the 21st Century couple, Mike and Alison, who are depicted right at the start of the first episode as being from a city (I presumed London, but it's not stated). Indeed, far more stand-out than their ethnic make-up is IMO, as has been mentioned, that they're married at such an age.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th May 2019, 3:50 PM

there really is nothing remotely eye-opening about the ethnic mix of the 21st Century couple, Mike and Alison

I don't think anybody on BCG (least of all my good self) would disagree.

My point throughout has been that their ethnic mix was written into the show in order to tick boxes in the diversity quota rather than for any legitimate dramatic purpose.

I don't think anybody (who is being honest with themselves and other members) would disagree with that either.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th May 2019, 1:17 PM

Go elsewhere then!

:P

Perhaps the actor simply played the part well as was written. There's really nothing in either scripts or performance to suggest either way.

As to the Scouts, one is clearly as black as Mike is. Two others on close inspection do appear to have slightly darker skin. Neither are clearly dark enough to state as fact that they're of a different ethnicity; the one who does appear most likely to be perhaps Indian, is given the name Alexander.

Both are on screen so fleetingly, and are of such little importance to the scene, that even noticing their skin colour strongly suggests those who did were actively inspecting and looking out for it.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th May 2019, 4:13 PM

Two others on close inspection do appear to have slightly darker skin.

Is there a branch of Specsavers anywhere near you? Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ 25th May 2019, 4:13 PM

Perhaps the actor simply played the part well as was written. There's really nothing in either scripts or performance to suggest either way.

As to the Scouts, one is clearly as black as Mike is. Two others on close inspection do appear to have slightly darker skin. Neither are clearly dark enough to state as fact that they're of a different ethnicity; the one who does appear most likely to be perhaps Indian, is given the name Alexander.

Both are on screen so fleetingly, and are of such little importance to the scene, that even noticing their skin colour strongly suggests those who did were actively inspecting and looking out for it.

Exactly.
Some very dated views being aired on here. Happily, today, most people are not as fixated on race.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the next series to find out about the MP with no trousers.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th May 2019, 4:59 PM

Exactly.
Some very dated views being aired on here. Happily, today, most people are not as fixated on race.

I think you'll find the views I've expressed on this thread are related not to race per se but to the BBC's diversity and inclusion strategy, and that dates back only as far as 2016. Nothing very dated about the strategy or my views on the appropriate and inappropriate ways to implement it.

In any event, here's another sketch that I believe is highly relevant to this thread.

SCENE: A DIY SUPERSTORE

MANAGER: So, you want a job in our paint-mixing department.

MAN: Yes sir, I have a great many years experience in the trade.

MANAGER: Can you distinguish between 40 different shades of green?

MAN: I can, sir.

MANAGER: Good. What about yellow?

MAN: Yes, sir.

All Manager: Good. What about blue?

MANAGER: Good. What about brown?

MANAGER: Racist!

ENDS

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 5:20 PM

BBC's diversity and inclusion strategy

But it sounds more like your opinion that diversity and inclusion strategy influenced the cast of Ghosts rather than fact. I don't see a BBC suit whispering in to the ear of the casting director making demands and like others have said most people don't instantly think it's some kind of sympathetic outreach strategy by the BBC that got them there instead of talent and hard graft when they see a black person on TV. Maybe give Sarah Asante a call as I'm sure she would be happy to discuss it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 6:50 PM

But it sounds more like your opinion that diversity and inclusion strategy influenced the cast of Ghosts rather than fact.

You're right.

I have absolutely no proof that the casting of "Ghosts" was influenced by the BBC's diversity and inclusion strategy. However, I don't think I've ever stated that I have such proof or that I know for certain that the casting was influenced in that way.

It is purely and simply my own personal opinion that such was the case.