Bargearse

Bargearse was a series within the Australian sketch show, The Late Show (early 90s). The Late Show is still a cult classic.

While there is a thread for the Late Show, Bargearse came out on it's own DVD, and deserves its own thread.

watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9bWQoQVIQ

I think the reason this holds up so well after all these years is the lack of fat jokes these days. Tony Martin does the voice of Bargearse, who was rake thin. These days the only people making fat jokes are fat comedians, which is a different dynamic.

I was about to create a thread for this but after a quick search I was disappointed to find one that nobody had replied to.

This is a classic dubbed series from the early 1990's that might have a few too many Australian references in it but the overall humour is intelligent and disgusting. The crew behind it are a group called Working Dog who have written many series and movies. You may be familiar with the movie 'The Castle' from the late 90's.

Give it 5 minutes before you make your mind up.

https://youtu.be/_u9bWQoQVIQ

So I saw......... what?..........................oh, sorry, I'll get me coat - I thought this was a BRITISH comedy site :P

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ 25th December 2015, 10:00 PM

These days the only people making fat jokes are fat comedians

These days the only people making black, Jewish and disabled jokes are black, Jewish and disabled comedians.

There must be a reason: I'll look into it and get back to you.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th February 2019, 2:47 PM

So I saw......... what?..........................oh, sorry, I'll get me coat - I thought this was a BRITISH comedy site :P

And all of the threads dedicated to American shows such as Friends, Frasier, Cheers... have you commented similarly on those?

Quote: Aussie Matt @ 7th February 2019, 6:29 PM

And all of the threads dedicated to American shows such as Friends, Frasier, Cheers... have you commented similarly on those?

You tell the pommie bastard, Matt!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th February 2019, 2:47 PM

What section is this Herc? Foreign Comedy?

I think it's worth pointing out that the video is from a genuine TV police series ("Bluey") from 1976. The original audio track has been removed and the movie redubbed with completely new comedy dialogue in 1992. The resulting audio/video combination was retitled "Bargearse" and broadcast as part of "The Late Show".

I've seen serious video redubbed with comedy dialogue before (haven't we all?) but it's always been obvious to me that I was watching serious video redubbed with comedy dialogue.

In the case of "Bargearse", however, I was fooled completely. I thought I was watching a genuine and really funny police-based TV comedy show. The soundtrack looks as if it's out of sync but I've seen that on lots of old video footage. It took me quite a while to realise what I was watching.

I'm only 14 minutes into it but I'm already ready to declare it one of the funniest and cleverest pieces of comedy I've ever seen.

If it were a genuine and original comedy product, it would be very funny but the fact that it's original serious video redubbed brilliantly with comedy dialogue makes it absolutely sensational.

I give Australia ten out of ten for "Bargearse".

P.S. I've now watched the whole thing and I can sum it up in one word: su-f***ing-perb! :D

Quote: Aussie Matt @ 7th February 2019, 6:29 PM

Strewth mate! It was only tongue in cheek Bruce. Smarmy

Quote: Chappers @ 7th February 2019, 9:33 PM

What section is this Herc? Foreign Comedy?

Strewth Chappers, whose side you on, but fair dinkum on you digger.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th February 2019, 11:02 PM

It was only tongue in cheek

If I had a quid for every person I've offended unintentionally online simply because they misinterpreted the tone in something I'd written, I'd be living next door to Bill Gates. Cool

[quote name="Hercules Grytpype Thynne" post="1198260" date="7th February 2019, 11:02 PM"]Strewth mate! It was only tongue in cheek Bruce. Smarmy

G'day Herc. Hope it's nice BBQ weather over there for you.

Bruce is my middle name and I'd much prefer to be called Matt.

I wasn't offended mate, most of your comments have been at least readable.

Bargearse isn't for everyone, but it still makes me laugh 25 years later even if it isn't politically correct now.

I hope you're enjoying you're sleep as I'm writing this from down under.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th February 2019, 10:17 PM

I give Australia ten out of ten for "Bargearse".

9/10 for the sarcastically effusive review. I saw some of Bargearse when it first aired on The Late Show and thought it was feeble and juvenile. I do recall it being a hit with kids aged about 7-13.

Quote: Aussie Matt @ 8th February 2019, 1:42 AM

[quote name="Hercules Grytpype Thynne" post="1198260" date="7th February 2019, 11:02 PM"]

G'day Herc. Hope it's nice BBQ weather over there for you.
Yup, effin cold, the way I like it as I enjoy a good snuggle and yes, have just thrown another brawn on the barby.

Bruce is my middle name and I'd much prefer to be called Matt.
Oh come on, you're pulling my plonker - so it is right what the Python team s'poofed once.

I wasn't offended mate, most of your comments have been at least readable.
Don't get me going down that road! The likes of me and Chappers despair at the grammar/spelling with some of the posts on this forum, but then I have to say, it's the same all across the web and if you raise the issue there's always some excuse; BUT as I say I'll not go into that.

Bargearse isn't for everyone, but it still makes me laugh 25 years later even if it isn't politically correct now.
Never seen it, but what is PC now and do we really care? Used to enjoy very much The Paul Hogan show - it's a shame they don't repeat those over here.

I hope you're enjoying you're sleep as I'm writing this from down under.
I hope you're enjoying you're sleep as I'm writing this from up over.

Wakey wakey Herc.

I've decided to not like you. You seem to have the need to put people down before you get to know them.

I'm obviously only basing this assumption on a few hundred of your close to 15,000 posts. I'd love to read them all but I have a life outside of the internet.

I'm confused, or you're easily offended.................. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCm9RUV03dc