Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 100

Quote: Lee @ 24th May 2017, 8:50 PM

Do any of you sexy people know how to diagnose a faulty laptop hard drive? It keeps hanging, especially when using windows explorer.

It's unlikely to be the hard drive, but I guess it's possible. It's probably a process or hardware device that's momentarily (How long does it hang?) maxing out the processor. It wouldn't hurt to verify that the fan is running and not covered in dust, as overheating can cause the processor to slow down, too.

I've looked at the list of processes but nothing is misbehaving. The fan is running as it always has, I've not noticed any problems at least.

But when I open a folder, it can sometimes take a long time for it to load, IIRC it says it's loading the index or something similar. I've "reindexed" it and ran the defragment tool thing but it came back with no errors.

It's only guesswork here as the details are sparse but it is often corrupted DLL files. (or even a virus or malware)

If I get this. I back up my important files and do a full format and reinstall the operating system.

Its a pain but the computer runs as new - and whatever it was is gone :)

EDIT: in fact, I have made a USB drive with a self running version of my windows install and all my programs.

I plug it in - change the bios to boot from the USB first and let it all install again.

Which operating system?

Try a proper disk check.

If Windows 10 (or earlier Windows), open "This PC" ("Computer") and right-click on the drive (presumably C: ), selected Properties, then the tab Tools and then click the "Check" disk button. This check will normally require total access so will need to be done during a re-boot so it will ask you to reboot.

After the reboot and check done, see if the problem has gone.

When I was a lad all you needed to do was bang the top of the screen a few times with your fist and everything would be ok?
....oh how technology is making life so much simpler????

Quote: billwill @ 25th May 2017, 3:15 PM

Which operating system?

Try a proper disk check.

If Windows 10 (or earlier Windows), open "This PC" ("Computer") and right-click on the drive (presumably C: ), selected Properties, then the tab Tools and then click the "Check" disk button. This check will normally require total access so will need to be done during a re-boot so it will ask you to reboot.

After the reboot and check done, see if the problem has gone.

I've done all the checks with the built in Windows 10 diagnostics. I've also scanned for viruses and malware. I've disabled as many start up programs I can see. Nothing has helped so far.

Diiicult to say, possibly a bad spot on the disk,

Only sure fix would be backup all your fies and reset to factory state and start all over re-installing everything.

Personally I would buy a new hard disk and a USB case, download the latest Win10 ISO installer and burn it to DVD then put the new disk in the computer and the old disk in the USB case. Then reinstall from scratch, starting with the Win 10 ISO.

Teary I'll give that a go bill, thanks for your help y'all.

When you say hanging do you mean everything freezes including the mouse and keyboard for a few seconds at random? If so how frequent is it and has it got worse? Does it only happen when you are navigating in windows explorer opening files and folders or does it interupt your internet connection so if you're downloading something or viewing a youtube video does it break the download or freeze the youtube video?

Open the performance tab on task manager and leave it running so you can see what your RAM and CPU levels are while using your laptop and if they fluctuate when it hangs. If everything hangs including media like games, internet and music it could be a hardware issue and being a laptop that might be difficult to replace. If everything hangs when you're just using windows explorer it's more likely the OS or hard drive.

Try this test...with everything like web pages and applications closed down so the laptop is at idle click on the start tab to see how quickly it appears. Then select something like program files to see how quickly that menu appears. It should appear instantly and if there is some delay it could explain why it's hanging.

Can anyone recommend a laptop for under £400ish? I only have an old desktop which is unbelievably slow and God knows how I did my freelancing on it before but am thinking of doing some more in the new year so need something with decent performance. Please please something with a centered trackpad, I purchased an Acer and took it back as the trackpad is over to the left, seems a lot of the 15in are like that now so would be content with a 14in. Thanks.

Dunno, I have a HP but it is playing up all the time. Was a bit cheaper than that.

Until we get enough millennials on the forums shouldn't we call it the boffins corner?

At that price the choice is too big to recommend any one laptop.
But the thing I would go for is the biggest screen possible.

Most laptops suffer from small screens where if you want a high resolution, the writing is very small or goes off the screen.

Can't find the BCG logging on thread, or maybe it was part of another one....................whatever -

I know when it's happened, 'cos the eye on the left that indicates new posts is not there - so it is the BCG or my PC that intermittently logs me out?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th August 2019, 9:33 AM

Can't find the BCG logging on thread, or maybe it was part of another one....................whatever -

I know when it's happened, 'cos the eye on the left that indicates new posts is not there - so it is the BCG or my PC that intermittently logs me out?

The eyes to the left, the nose to the right.

John Bercow.

My TiVo box gave up the ghost recently and Virgin Media replaced it with a V6 box.

The engineer supplied me with a remote control for the V6 box and he also left me my original TiVo remote control, saying it would act as a spare.

Both remotes will, as he said, control the V6 box but there is a significant difference between the two:

The V6 remote will operate through the closed wooden/glass doors of the TV cabinet while the TiVo remote will not operate the V6 box while those doors are closed.

Is there a boffin who knows why?