Inside No. 9 - Series 3 Page 5

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 3rd March 2017, 3:26 PM

I can't figure out your clue gappy! (I'm really awful at crosswords, even the non-cryptic ones). "To confuse, I get a period inside number nine! (8)"

I'd say it's pretty tough. An alternative clue using the same trick:

There's nothing inside number nine, nothing (3).

Quote: Aaron @ 1st March 2017, 1:07 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2017/feb/28/riddle-of-the-sphinx-guardian-cryptic-crossword-inside-no-9

Great article, and lots of 'clues' on what makes them tick as writers. Faultless series so far.

Echo the sentiments about Davida being more than a welcome addition here.

Herc, stop acting like a spoiled little child and put your finger back where it belongs (which could be anywhere frankly)

Somehow I'm getting 'inedible' for the 8 letter one. I don't think I'm doing it right though. Not sure about the 3 letter one.

Thanks Shandonbelle!

Shearsmith and Pemberton really astound me as writers. The way they can take something that is genuinely surprising (a rare thing these days, it seems) and somehow making it get better and better when you watch it again despite knowing how it ends. All of the seeding and misdirection and layers and connections are a real treat to pick up on. It doesn't hurt that they're both brilliant actors as well and bring that drama and emotional range that you get from straight theatre. Each episode really is like a mini-play. Can't wait for the next one.

Quote: gappy @ 3rd March 2017, 3:46 PM

I'd say it's pretty tough. An alternative clue using the same trick:

Could the 3 letter one be 'nix' with IX being the roman numeral for 9, and meaning 'nothing'?

Still working on the other one. I looked up some tips on how to approach cryptic clues, and am surprisingly having a lot of fun with all this. New hobby perhaps? I'm awful at it but that's alright. I wonder how many people Steve Pemberton converted into cryptic crossword enthusiasts. I'm sure he'd be happy knowing that even just one person gained an interest in them because of the show. Also the cryptic crossword community seems to be happy that the episode brought their favorite hobby into the spotlight for so many people to appreciate.

Haven't figured out the 8 letter clue yet. I'm guessing the 'confuse' part means there's going to be an anagram, and I was thinking the 'inside number nine' part could be a suggestion to take out the inside leaving n_ _ _ _ _ _ _ e. But if I've got the 3 letter word one right, and you said the 8 letter one uses a similar trick, then I'm not sure where to go from there. I take it each clue has a kind of definition word or phrase that gives the meaning of the answer, but I'm having trouble identifying definition part of the clue. I'm guessing it's something having to do with the actual show inside no 9. So maybe 'enneatic'?

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 3rd March 2017, 11:52 PM

Somehow I'm getting 'inedible' for the 8 letter one. I don't think I'm doing it right though. Not sure about the 3 letter one.

Now I'm confused - is this the Graudian one or gappy's? What was the clue if it is the one in the paper? Inedible would make sense in relation to the episode as this could/would apply to the juicy bit of rump steak that Reece sautéed for Steve. Incidentally, I presume she was fully aware of what was going on when he sliced it off her bum so she must have been screaming inside - too horrible to contemplate, and like you say not too much comedy in this episode.

As for nix, I think you are right. 'n' is the abbreviation for number and so of course NIX would make Number 9, but I don't understand gappy's clue if that is correct, not unless his thinking was taking the "umber" out of number nine, which is unnecessary IF my interpretation is right.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 3rd March 2017, 11:52 PM

Shearsmith and Pemberton really astound me as writers. The way they can take something that is genuinely surprising (a rare thing these days, it seems) and somehow making it get better and better when you watch it again despite knowing how it ends. All of the seeding and misdirection and layers and connections are a real treat to pick up on.

The 12 Days of Christine stands out as one of the best episodes for that sort of misdirection. I watched it again the other week just because it's so so good and just to see the story unfold.

I fear we're in danger of getting greyed out here, we're only tangentially connected to the show now. Laughing out loud

Nix is right for the second, well done both of you. N is number and IX is 9, and there's nothing inside - it's just NIX. Crap clue, but I did it to introduce the technique necessary for the other: you'll need to consider what's inside N and IX to solve the clue. I must point out that the answer is nothing to do with the show, but I felt the surface* was a relfection of the devious, confusing plotting of the best stuff the writers come up with.

*For those of you new to the cruciverbal game, the "surface" is what it looks as though the clue is saying. For example, the clue "Food lovers go at half four to M&S", which looks as though it's describing people going to pick up reduced sandwiches after work, or something, but is actually clueing gourmands (GO + foUR + M AND S).

Not quite sure but could it be 'intermix'? With 'interim' being the 'have a period' part, and it ends in ix for the 9 part, but it doesn't start with 'n', so I don't know.

Back on topic: I agree that 12 Days of Christine has great seeding. The flashes of Reece's character who is quite scary and ominous bring a nice horrific edge to it, and also the smashed eggs and Reece's voice coming through the baby monitor making Christine think her son has been abducted. That's one of my favourite episodes for sure. Seems like it's a lot of peoples' favourite. Previously Tom and Gerri was my favorite (it was the first episode I saw), but with this new series being as good as it is, my ranking of favorites is changing. Right now the latest one is at the top of my list. I don't know what to expect with the next episode really but I'd like to keep it that way. This is the only show I really try to avoid spoilers about. I like the element of surprise.

Out of curiosity, does anyone think Inside No 9 is simply not a comedy show? Some episodes have only a couple of jokes. It's still funny though. Maybe it's not that it's simply not a comedy, but rather that it's not simply a comedy.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 4th March 2017, 9:16 PM

Not quite sure but could it be 'intermix'? With 'interim' being the 'have a period' part, and it ends in ix for the 9 part, but it doesn't start with 'n', so I don't know.

Awesome. Not the right reason, but the right answer, so you get the points*. "To confuse" is the definition, I wrong-footed you into assuming it was an anagram indicator. So, it works like this

I + N[umber] + IX, with TERM (a period) inside.

Strictly there shouldn't be an "a" before "term" in the clue, but it helped the surface no end.

*Legal note: there are no points.

Wow, how satisfying to have finally figured it out!....though I still did it completely wrong. But hey, at least I get points for it.

Eh?

Are you baffled by what I said, or baffled by today's episode? I have to admit I'm a bit baffled about Empty Orchestra. Not the usual high stakes punchy dark stuff I love from them, but variety isn't a bad thing. I'll need to rewatch it. I don't want to end up with the songs stuck in my head though. That must have been maddening to shoot, hearing the same songs over and over and over again for a week. I'd lose my mind. Next week's episode is supposedly extremely dark though, so I'm looking forward to that. Riddle of the Sphinx is still my new favourite though.

No, no Davida (thank you for your post - most kind) and yes it was my lone comment (eh? emoticon) on last night's episode. I still can't believe what I saw and that music was getting on my nerves.

What was the point of it? Someone explain it to me as there didn't seem to be any plot as such and has to be the worse one ever, no that's wrong - THE one that didn't work.

Where was the comedy and tension of "A Quiet Night In " , which is my all time favourite along with The 12 Days of Christine (although there was little comedy in that but a great episode!)