Why do you like your favourite sitcom? Page 2

Quote: Nogget @ 23rd March 2016, 12:09 PM GMT

So what is it about those particular characters you like?

Take Cheers, I liked the writing because it was polished, the first to use a big team of writers, I believe. Love the characters in Cheers as they were real with loyalty to each other (bit like Friends). So there was warmth in Cheers. The familiarity of running gags, the fact everyone was blemished they re-created the banter you get from an old fashion pub, where everyone really does know each other's name. Does that help ?

Quote: Woozie @ 22nd March 2016, 9:18 PM GMT

There was a peak viewing time where I would watch the aforementioned sitcoms on a loop again and again as a child and a teen. Now, when I recall these shows or re-watch them; Not only am I still laughing but it reminds me of the time I would watch these shows religiously and of a time when I was happier. Also, they encapsulate a generation so they cannot help but make references that somewhat date them leading to nostalgia in that way also.

I was writing a post almost word for word when you posted this :) Nostalgia and familiarity plays a big part for me because when I watch something I've not seen for 30 years or something I still watch frequently since the 80s it brings back great memories of a time when I was a care free child. As a boy I was obsessed with The Young Ones and the way every single line was funny. The character relationships were perfect. I watched it so much I learnt the scripts and would play "The Young Ones game" with mates who had to guess character, scene and episode from a phrase or even a keyword. No matter how much I've seen them I still enjoy it and even feel that excitement I used to get when I put the Betamax tape in the cassette players.

What keeps me coming back to certain shows is the sense of consistency with the production and most importantly good character relationships. I've noticed that what makes me actually laugh out loud at sitcoms are moments when characters are at each others' throats. Vyv hating Rick but being nice to Neil (mostly), Rimmer insulting Lister, The Cat insulting Rimmer, Will Smith mocking Uncle Phil, Dr Cox insulting Dr Dorian, Moe pointing out Homer's stupidity etc are times when I actually laugh out loud at comedy because it's something I feel a part of. It's knowing the history between them and how they feel about each other that is what makes the humour come to life. Besides good main characters, all extras and anyone else who appear on camera have to be believable. So many times a scene has been spoiled by an extra looking at the camera or not being in character.

A good producer and director who really understand what they are working towards are also essential to allow the writer to know that support is there and make them relaxed and produce good work. Happy Hens, happy eggs (no Guest House Paradiso quotes :D)

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 23rd March 2016, 9:20 PM GMT

good character relationships. I've noticed that what makes me actually laugh out loud at sitcoms are moments when characters are at each others' throats.

Yes, whenever people say they like the characters, surely what they mean is they like the interaction of those characters; and most especially, the conflict.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 23rd March 2016, 4:39 PM GMT

Does that help ?

Sure, you like the warmth, I can understand that. Do you dislike sitcoms which lack warmth?

Maybe what ties many of the comments thus far, such as warmth and nostalgia, is the need for the audience to relate. So in Frasier we don't relate to being an American shrink, we relate to issues within the family, just as OFAH is an exercise in examining family ties. Of course we need conflict, but we need to care about those involved, we need to relate to the situation.

Nostalgia is about relating to something, as is warmth. So in answer to your question, no I don't like sitcoms where I don't feel warmth towards the characters. Why would I be interested in how their lives pan out or how they handle conflict? I couldn't wait to find out how the cast of Cheers or Friends got on. You inherit a family for half an hour a week. Same with The Good Life. But I never liked It Ain't Half Hot Mum because I wasn't interested in going down the pub with those characters. Same with 2 Broke Girls - just couldn't relate (and it's poorly acted). We need to believe it on some level, so here again the acting needs to be very good.

I do feel many new sitcoms have tried too hard to be different and created (different) characters fewer people can relate to. Hence all this nostalagamania, but I appreciate much of that is to do with financial risk. Anyway Nogget, more to the point, what's your view on all this?

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 24th March 2016, 6:09 PM GMT

Anyway Nogget, more to the point, what's your view on all this?

Well if I chose Frasier, and specifically The Ski Lodge, I'd say that what I like is the cleverly wrought interactions between the cast. But I could have chosen, say, Ripping Yarns, and identified the glorious absurdity as my main pleasure; and I'm not ashamed to admit that I laughed uproariously when I first saw Del Boy fall through that bar. So what I think I really like, is the same old traditional comic ideas, but presented in unexpected and innovative ways.

What they do all have in common is an outstanding cast performing a well-writen script.

As for warmth, it's not high on my list. I do need to understand the characters, but not necessarily in a warm way. So with Basil Fawlty, I can't say I like his manner, but I can see the logic by which he operates, and I can be swept along as one unfortunate event leads inevitably onto an even bigger one. Or take Claire (in the Community), there's no warmth emanating from such a joyless narcissist, but I love it.

I would have thought that for many the reasons for liking a particular sit com, is the comedy/laughter factor. It could also be the fact that we can relate to the characters and the situations they find themselves in.

I have recently started to view WATCHING again. This is the sit com that actually got me into birdwatching and I can relate to the main character and many of the support cast perfectly as well as the situations that they find themselves in.

After the programme has been shown and you re visit after a few years, this is where the nostalgia part kicks in. It takes me back to some great times I had whilst watching the programme

For my favourite UK sitcom (Blackadder), it's the dialogue. Every line is so memorable and sticks in my brain forever. It's very much like watching a play.

For my favourite US sitcom (Arrested Development), it's both the dialogue and the intricacy and care that goes into the level of plotting, foreshadowing and callbacks. No other show has ever done it this well, and I so badly want a British sitcom to come up with an equal.

Quote: smc4761 @ 25th March 2016, 5:21 PM GMT

I would have thought that for many the reasons for liking a particular sit com, is the comedy/laughter factor.

Wouldn't that make Not Going Out and Friends the most popular? The reason people like bitter sweet stuff like Watching is that the old set up joke can be a bit formulaic?

Quote: Gluben @ 25th March 2016, 8:46 PM GMT

For my favourite US sitcom (Arrested Development), it's both the dialogue and the intricacy and care that goes into the level of plotting, foreshadowing and callbacks. No other show has ever done it this well, and I so badly want a British sitcom to come up with an equal.

I can't see a British sitcom being as well layered as AD for a very long time!

I'm going to take the boring option and say The Simpsons is probably my favourite sitcom. Main reason being that it's extremely rewatchable, has lovable characters and is fantastically written. I also enjoy the fact that it's nearly always 'upbeat'.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 25th March 2016, 9:12 PM GMT

Wouldn't that make Not Going Out and Friends the most popular? The reason people like bitter sweet stuff like Watching is that the old set up joke can be a bit formulaic?

I would not have said Friends was the best comedy/ most popular due to it ability to make you laugh although I do enjoy Friends

WATCHING for me is memorable because of plenty of particularly wonderful one liners especially from Emma Wray. In many instances so simple, things I wish I could have said. Perhaps not as cutting as Blackadder one liners but still some superb lines

I agree that the comedy in WATCHING can be bitter sweet.

As a Brit I feel that I can relate more to UK sitcoms than the American sit coms

Quote: Scartledge @ 25th March 2016, 9:58 PM GMT

I can't see a British sitcom being as well layered as AD for a very long time!

I'm going to take the boring option and say The Simpsons is probably my favourite sitcom. Main reason being that it's extremely rewatchable, has lovable characters and is fantastically written. I also enjoy the fact that it's nearly always 'upbeat'.

I'd also argue exactly the same for Futurama.

Only Fools And Horses has to be my favourite sitcom. The reason I like it so much is it's the one I grew up with and watched it with my sister and parents and we all laughed at it together!