Which sitcoms outstayed their welcome? Page 4

I think The Thick Of It outstayed its welcome. Chris Langham, notwithstanding his personal life, was superb in the first series. I liked the specials and the third series, but the fourth was when the wheels truly came off. The coalition and the Tories were not as funny and each episode seemed to deteriorate into just a lot of shouting. There were a couple of good episodes, like the ousting of Rebecca Front's character and the inquiry episode, but it did seem like it was seriously running out of steam in the fourth.

Red Dwarf is perhaps the best example. Series 7 onwards it really fell apart. Red Dwarf was a unique sitcom; clever, with dark dystopian sci-fi themes and original ideas from which the comedy emerged organically. It seems that Rob Grant was chiefy responsible for the sci-fi and story elements and Doug Naylor was the gag-man because after Grant left, it just became like any other sitcom. A real shame.

Quote: TBone @ 8th February 2014, 3:13 PM GMT

I think The Thick Of It outstayed its welcome. Chris Langham, notwithstanding his personal life, was superb in the first series. I liked the specials and the third series, but the fourth was when the wheels truly came off. The coalition and the Tories were not as funny and each episode seemed to deteriorate into just a lot of shouting. There were a couple of good episodes, like the ousting of Rebecca Front's character and the inquiry episode, but it did seem like it was seriously running out of steam in the fourth.

However shows like TTOI and Peep Show are coming down from such a high level, they're still funnier than most things that are on.

Whether it tarnishes their legacy slightly is another matter, and it's not as though either are money-spinners.

As for Series 4 of TTOT, they maybe should have done a mini-series/specials to represent the new coalition dynamic without spreading the quality too thinly.

Peter Mannion had too many great moment in Series 4 for it to have never existed in any form.

Well, Only Fools and Horses did because the 1996 ending was great.

Citizen Khan, I think has because after season 2 it dried out.

My Family went on for far too long IMO.

On the Buses, because the 7 series was awful.

Quote: Wheel @ 12th December 2015, 1:08 PM GMT

Well, Only Fools and Horses did because the 1996 ending was great.

Citizen Khan, I think has because after season 2 it dried out.

My Family went on for far too long IMO.

:O You haven't met the Groper yet have you................you will when he's read this post. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2015, 1:24 PM GMT

:O You haven't met the Groper yet have you................you will when he's read this post. :D

Why what is he a fan of?

OFAH and OTB especially.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2015, 1:42 PM GMT

OFAH and OTB especially.

Well, we all know why for OFAH.

For OTB, the reason it outstayed it's welcome because, at series 7, Michael Robbins left, who played Arthur. Arthur was one of the main character and funny because he was the one who would argue with Stan. Reg Varney also left halfway through that series too.

Totally agree regarding My Family and even though On the Buses wasn't the same without Arthur and Stan it was still decent.

Quote: alan1967 @ 12th December 2015, 3:02 PM GMT

Totally agree regarding My Family and even though On the Buses wasn't the same without Arthur and Stan it was still decent.

I thought it was OK, they managed to get through the series. I liked how when Stan left, they didn't give up and got through the series.

Quote: Wheel @ 12th December 2015, 1:08 PM GMT

Only series 7 was awful !

What about 1 - 6 ?

I'm surprised Groper hasn't stuck his pennyworth in on this line of contention. Laughing out loud

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th December 2015, 9:51 AM GMT

I'm surprised Groper hasn't stuck his pennyworth in on this line of contention. Laughing out loud

He's too busy pondering the merits of purchasing a second-hand VHS player from eBay.

I'll be honest, I don't like OTB either, nor (sorry Aaron!) Bless This House.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 15th December 2015, 9:54 AM GMT

He's too busy pondering the merits of purchasing a second-hand VHS player from eBay.

I'll be honest, I don't like OTB either, nor (sorry Aaron!) Bless This House.

:D It's OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

Goodnight Sweetheart was quite fresh for the first three series but got silly what with Yvonne becoming mates with Tony Blair etc
My Family was quite good at first but when Kris Marshall left it went downhill
OFAH was great until Rodney and Delboy were paired off with Cassandra and Raquel though there were some classic episodes e.g. Rodney winning the kids drawing competition holiday
Lovejoy -ok not a sitcom but a comedy drama. It worked cos of the chemistry between Lovejoy, Eric, Tinker and Lady Jane. Without that cast it lost it.
Dad's Army - might be controversial this but the loss of Joe Walker in series 6 should've been a sign to call it a day. Private Cheeseman adds nowt.
Yes Minister is great. Promoting him to PM wasn't such a good idea IMO

However, great some of them are, all the big US comedies needn't have gone on so long. While the first half dozen or so series of Frasier, Cheers, Friends, Big Bang Theory, Simpsons, South Park are generally great the later ones often either repeated plots or got ludicrous and far fetched

Big Bang Theory,The Simpsons make too much money for the networks for them to get canned.