What if classic sitcoms had cast different actors? Page 2

John Inman was a person.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2015, 6:55 PM GMT

I remember one who was John Inman personified.

And that was you? ;)

Don't get me wrong I like Bannister in the show but I'd have re-written his part a bit so that the character fits his appearance a bit more. So no insinuations of him coming to work right out of the disco or having several girlfriends at once. Lucas played by Bannister is a 45 year old loser whose only joy in life derives from taking the mickey out of Peacock and Grainger and taking a peek at Miss Brahms' knickers.

Quote: Marc P @ 21st January 2015, 6:57 PM GMT

John Inman was a person.

No, was he? And that's right and that was who I was comparing him with, so I don't see what point you are trying to make.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2015, 7:55 PM GMT

And that was you? ;)

Don't get me wrong I like Bannister in the show but I'd have re-written his part a bit so that the character fits his appearance a bit more. So no insinuations of him coming to work right out of the disco or having several girlfriends at once. Lucas played by Bannister is a 45 year old loser whose only joy in life derives from taking the mickey out of Peacock and Grainger and taking a peek at Miss Brahms' knickers.

Oooh, not me honky-tonk, and yes, your observations of Lucas are spot-on.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2015, 8:06 PM GMT

No, was he? And that's right and that was who I was comparing him with, so I don't see what point you are trying to make

I think you meant Humphries, not Inman.

That was my thinking too.

I could have been wrong of course. It wouldn't be the first time.

I'm sure I read that Norman Wisdom was offered the role of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. I think it would have worked.. but not been as good.

Polly in Fawlty Towers could have been anyone else without it impacting, but the rest of the cast seem too perfect to change and too much part of our comedy heritage.

Another thing about Dad's Army was I recall that they first had in mind opposite roles for Mainwaring and Wilson.. or have I got that wrong?

Quote: Geffers @ 22nd January 2015, 1:23 PM GMT

Polly in Fawlty Towers could have been anyone else without it impacting, but the rest of the cast seem too perfect to change and too much part of our comedy heritage.

Best keep her on since she wrote it.

Quote: zooo @ 22nd January 2015, 1:34 PM GMT

Best keep her on...

Oh yes...

The sophistication level of the typical BCG male:

Connie also wrote in How To Irritate People but she wasn't in that.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2015, 8:23 PM GMT

I think you meant Humphries, not Inman.

No, as Tony Hancock was Hancock so John Inman was Mr Humphries and vice versa - they basically played themselves. That's the way I see it anyway.

Quote: Geffers @ 22nd January 2015, 1:23 PM GMT

I'm sure I read that Norman Wisdom was offered the role of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. I think it would have worked.. but not been as good.

Yes, it was written with him in mind, but he turned it down. I think Ronnie Barker was also offered it.
Having said that, I think Michael Crawford nailed it.

How about if Jim Broadbent had played Del instead of Sir David Jason?

(Note to self: "TBN, you're a sofa-lazing timewaster."

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 19th October 2015, 11:17 AM BST

How about if Jim Broadbent had played Del instead of Sir David Jason?

(Note to self: "TBN, you're a sofa-lazing timewaster."

The episodes with Slater would have been very confusing.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 19th October 2015, 1:49 PM BST

The episodes with Slater would have been very confusing.

Yeah, but what if Slater was Junie Trotter's long-lost son? Stick a beard on Broadbent and you've got yourself another storyline and saved an actor's salary to boot?

He's not called Broadbent for nothing.