US sitcoms

Any chance of starting a thread on US sitcoms? I know that it is called the British Sitcom Guide, but IMHO most of the best sitcoms in recent years have come from the US (Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Friends, Frasier, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm...I could go on).

It might make an interesting alternative to discussion on Britcoms old and new.

It seems like you just have! (I'm going to move it over to "Foreign" though.)

Great, thanks for that.

First question, anyone know when season three of Arrested Development and seasons eight and nine of Seinfeld are due out on DVD? I've heard that season seven of Seinfeld is due for release in November which is quite a gap since the release of season six - hope we don't have to wait so long for seasons eight and nine.

season 3 of Arrested Development is due on 29 august. Can't wait, i think this is the best show i've seen for years. apparently they had an option to take it to HBO but mitch hurwitz didn't want to and no one wanted to do it without him so...

Quote: Thomps74 @ August 21, 2006, 8:24 AM

Any chance of starting a thread on US sitcoms? I know that it is called the British Sitcom Guide, but IMHO most of the best sitcoms in recent years have come from the US (Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Friends, Frasier, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm...I could go on).

Agreed - Scrubs, My Name Is Earl etc is way in front of our current new sitcom output.

In regards to Arrested Development, not sure if you've heard but MSN will be broadcasting all 53 episodes for free from their website later in the year. I think this very positive step forward. Hopefully the first of many shows to go online.

Oh noes! US Sitcoms?! >_<

Ah Scrubs, yeah, that's a good show too. :D

My Name Is Earl though... Hmm, I couldn't decide on that one. It was certainly good entertainment, but I'm not sure about it comedy-wise. Just didn't make me laugh enough I don't think.

I heard about MSN broadcasting all 53 episodes for free - will be interesting to see if others follow this example.

Re. season three of Arrested Development, I've also heard about the August release date, but can't find any mention of this on amazon, play or HMV's site.

the aug 29 release date was on amazon but i think it was amazon.com so it's the american release. It can still be bought through the miracle of the interweb.

Or downloaded. ;)

...Naughty. Naughty Aaron. *spanks hand* Bad.

Whistling nnocently didn't want to incriminate myself but i've managed to see 9 episodes of season 3 using, ahem, alternative arrangements. i'll still buy the DVD 'cause i'm such a fanboy i actually want the extras. BTW - anyone know what Mitch Hurwitz was up to before Arrested Development?

There is an interview with him at the below link in which he talks about his career before Arrested Development (he worked on The Golden Girls).

I've found season three on playusa.com with a 30th August release date and have ordered my copy. I'm interested to see how it finishes.

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/24899/1/1

Regarding downloading : OBVIOUSLY I would NEVER do a thing like that Unimpressed - but downloading sitcoms etc. allows you to increase your tastes in sitcoms you might not otherwise see/buy and may increase the result of an actual sale. Plus - a lot of the best comedies aren't available to buy commercially - (OR download :( )

Well, that depends on where you look. ;)

Most of the best US sitcoms are available on DVD and Scrubs, Friends, The Simpsons, Curb... and a few others are currently showing on E4 etc. If you've got satellite/cable, you also have access to the rather excellent Paramount channel which shows loads of American stuff, so plenty of shows to watch without having to resort to downloading.