Doctor At The Top Page 2

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 12 2010, 8:47 PM GMT

I think though that Robin Nedwell and Geoffrey Davies were probably staying down under for quite a long time as they were in a long running stage production of the Doctor series in Australia and New Zealand, so two series could quite easily have been made.

The series was in 1979 (and possibly 1980). As far as I can see, the two stage shows were in 1974 and 1977, and certainly not running on for that long.

Terribly frustrating.

Oops sorry Jack I deleted my post because it was inaccurate.

Quote: Aaron @ January 12 2010, 8:54 PM GMT

Terribly frustrating.

But we've had a good discussion. I would say though, that it may all have been filmed at once, but I think the evidence seems to suggest it was shown in two series.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 12 2010, 8:59 PM GMT

But we've had a good discussion. I would say though, that it may all have been filmed at once, but I think the evidence seems to suggest it was shown in two series.

British Sitcom - made in Australia with British leading actors, Australian support actors, British writers, British directors, British producers, Australian support technicians ... is it still a British sitcom?

Produced by an Australian channel with Australian money for itself. Not a co-prod. So ... still arguable. But I'd go with Australian, but of particular special interest to British comedy geeks like wot we is. :)

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 12 2010, 8:59 PM GMT

From Australia's TV Times magazine, issue dated June 24-30, 1978:

Now it's the Doctors Down Under
The Seven Network has finalised plans to produce an Australian version of the British Doctor comedies. The thirteen-part series, titled Doctor Down Under, will be taped later in the year at the studios of ATN7 Sydney and will feature Robin Nedwell and Geoffrey Davies from the British original. The network is also in advanced stages of planning a further seven episodes of the Australian version of Father Dear Father, and is also planning a local remake of Love Thy Neighbour.

Looking at old TV guides, it premiered at 8.30pm on Feb 5, 1979. I can't see it listed in any of the 1980 TV guide entries - nor any announcement of a "second series".

Quote: Kenneth @ January 12 2010, 10:03 PM GMT

From Australia's TV Times magazine, issue dated June 24-30, 1978:

Now it's the Doctors Down Under
The Seven Network has finalised plans to produce an Australian version of the British Doctor comedies. The thirteen-part series, titled Doctor Down Under, will be taped later in the year at the studios of ATN7 Sydney and will feature Robin Nedwell and Geoffrey Davies from the British original. The network is also in advanced stages of planning a further seven episodes of the Australian version of Father Dear Father, and is also planning a local remake of Love Thy Neighbour.

Looking at old TV guides, it premiered at 8.30pm on Feb 5, 1979. I can't see it listed in any of the 1980 TV guide entries - nor any announcement of a "second series".

Do you have the run of TV Guides from Feb-May 1979? That is valuable info you have provided :-)

Quote: Alan C @ January 12 2010, 10:14 PM GMT

Do you have the run of TV Guides from Feb-May 1979? That is valuable info you have provided :-)

No. I just swiped that info from this site: http://www.televisionau.com/tvguide.htm
It doesn't have complete listings for every day.

Brilliant Ken, thanks! :)

When Graeme Garden, (One of the writers) was the subject of This is your life. Another one of the writers George Layton was brought on as a guest.

Michael Aspel " George worked with you on the revival of the Doctor series".

George Layton " Yes the BBC thought it would be a good idea. Unfortunately the viewers did not agree".

Dirty look from Michael Aspel.

There were major continuity issues with Doctor At The Top. How come Dick Stuart-Clark, an anaesthetist with little surgical aptitude, has become professor of surgery? How could Duncan Waring have been married for 20 years, ie since 1971, when he was still a bachelor in Doctor Down Under (1979)? Also, I think those of us who remembered these characters as irresponsible womanising hard drinkers did not enjoy seeing them as respectable and middle aged - it reminded us all too clearly of the passing years. I don't think it will ever be released on DVD. If there was ever a time for a release, it would have been during Network's ongoing releases of the LWT originals. It's a shame, because it's not all bad. That UK Rarities VHS sourced DVD-R will have to do.

I don't know anyone who would've cared about the facts.

Doctor At the Top was just one series too far I think. I was enjoying the boxset up until that point, but the comedy seems very tiresome to me in this one.

I thought this was better than Doctor On The Go I found that very drab. Enjoyed all of the Doctor TV series up until that. I thought Doctor Down Under was good too. Being produced by the BBC I can see why Network didn't release At The Top on DVD but I don't see why they did not release Doctor Down Under, that was transmitted by ITV.

I used to have this album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Dub

(Waits to be greyed out!)