All about the money

heres a question I can't find an answer to despite endless minutes of searching.
the sitcom forum is full of how to's, how not to's, whats been written, where to send it etc,
nobody seems to make public HOW MUCH? we are mostly writing because we can't help it
and would go nuts if we didn't put pen to paper, then the thoughts lead to "hmmmmmmmm, what if its good enough for TV". then its re write, post, wait, post again,rewrite, post.
so here's the question, who pays most? do you struggle on with bbc writers room or put all your faith in other production companys? say you got interest from both at the same time, who pays
better, and, more importantly, how much is the average payment for writing a sitcom because at the end of it all, we all need to make a living and want the best price for our product.
anyone on here who has got that far and prepared to give out some rough figures?

No need to be so agressive.

Check out the Writer's Guild website they have the standard figures.

And after that it's all about the same.

TV more than radio, drama/dramedy more than sitcom.

But if you're worried you're commisioned sitcom won't make you enough to live on, you may be worrying about the wrong thing.

no aggression intended, I just saw it as a straightforward question, sorry if it came across agressive. and it was just curiosity really, I'm lucky enough to have as job but wondered if anyone apart from the big names can actually do it for a living or are they like the rest of us, wandering around at work with a pen and pad, constantly nipping to the loo to jot down the next scene :0)

In my experience very few people live exclusively off of writing sitcoms. But once the foots in the door you can script read, teach writing etc etc.

Still a peripetetic life.

It's not about what you get paid but what you can command.
At the basic BBC rate card you probably couldn't live on a sitcom series a year.
But, by the time you get to write a sitcom series a year, you are commanding way more that 'rate card' fees.
Expect to get paid pretty close to nothing for the first job you do.
Then work your way up.

But the work's the thing.

There's another thread on writers discussion called Commission pay that goes into a bit more detail. Sorry, I don't know how to link to it.

Everyone's paid what they're worth.

"how much does stand up comedy pay" - are you in pubs or selling out the 02 arena?

"how much does writing pay" - are you writing gags for newsjack or writing Seinfeld?

"how much does banking pay" - are you sitting behind a clerks desk, or trading millions?

You get paid a standard rate for standard work, if you're very very very good, you get paid more, if you're the best, sky's the limit.

Supply and demand, such is life.

I've been commissioned a few times by prodco's to write pilot scripts which have yet to make it to television, and probably never will.
The going rate for a relative newcomer seems to be around 7,000 as a script fee, split into signature, delivery and acceptance fees. Another 7,000 is due on the first day of principal photography, if you get that far. A successful writer will command more, but I'm in no position to know how much.

Writers are often reluctant to talk about money, and indeed are discouraged from doing so on various writing forums. The implication seems to be that if you're interested in feeding the kids and paying the mortgage you're a money-grabbing philistine. It's an attitude that does no favours to the struggle of writers to be regarded as valued professionals. I've never heard anyone tell a director or producer that they shouldn't be interested in money

Quote: steve by any other name @ January 17 2012, 9:43 AM GMT

There's another thread on writers discussion called Commission pay that goes into a bit more detail. Sorry, I don't know how to link to it.

Commission Pay

Thanks for the details Steve

Dan

Andy, your question wasn't aggressive and seemed pretty reasonable to me.

But what the f**k do I know, only 55 posts dammit.

Quote: Seamus @ January 17 2012, 7:45 PM GMT

I've been commissioned a few times by prodco's to write pilot scripts which have yet to make it to television, and probably never will.
The going rate for a relative newcomer seems to be around 7,000 as a script fee, split into signature, delivery and acceptance fees. Another 7,000 is due on the first day of principal photography, if you get that far.

I'm not absolutely sure but I thought that only applies to terrestrial TV. So for instance that would be the case if you got a sitcom on BBC1 or 2, but not for BBC3.

Although I could be wrong.

Good question I thought. But looks like you are going to have to do more searching for the answer. I read the replies and it's not here. A couple of referals though.

I have launched a new website for writers and the pay levels for 'General' content are specified up front (once your register) It is free to join and post content.

You can also post 'authored content' here you set your own price.

The thread is: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/31199#P1100646

Quote: Contented Registrar @ 11th December 2014, 2:14 PM GMT

I have launched a new website for writers and the pay levels for 'General' content are specified up front (once your register) It is free to join and post content.

You can also post 'authored content' here you set your own price.

The thread is: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/31199#P1100646

Any chance you could knob off with your shiity site that's nothing to do with writing comedy?

Knob off lol. May I have permission to use it. Thank you in anticipation.