Things that piss you off Page 1,548

Quote: keewik @ 26th September 2014, 11:47 PM BST

'Step up to the plate' - what the hell does this actually mean and why can't peoe use straightforward English? 'Boots on the ground' is another one. What's wrong with simple 'ground forces'?

The first one is from Baseball, I think.

Well they can sod their baseball. How many UK people would know a thing about that. And forgive my ignorance but how the hell do plates feature in baseball?

Too many Americanisms slipping into our language. Angry

"World Series Baseball" - How is that World - they're the only f**kers that play the girlie game of Rounders.

Well, they can piss off.

Mind you, there's a lot of sportspeople 'putting their hand's up' these days.

Quote: keewik @ 27th September 2014, 8:27 PM BST

Well they can sod their baseball. How many UK people would know a thing about that. And forgive my ignorance but how the hell do plates feature in baseball?

It's to do with the tectonic plates under every baseball pitch (?). It's a rule that they have to build them on a fault line to make the game more interesting.

Quote: keewik @ 27th September 2014, 8:27 PM BST

I know

It's just not cricket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_field#Home_plate

Quote: Oldrocker @ 27th September 2014, 10:18 PM BST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_field#Home_plate

What about the batters box?

Wears it over his willy doesn't he?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th September 2014, 10:27 PM BST

Wears it over his willy doesn't he?

"The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willie."

Ooooh, Missus..........

Well I piss on your plates, so there!

Since we're moaning about Americanisms, I admit to hating "no brainer" because it suggests to me that the thing it refers to would only be chosen by someone without a brain, which is the opposite of what it's meant to mean.

Quote: Nogget @ 28th September 2014, 7:36 AM BST

Since we're moaning about Americanisms, I admit to hating "no brainer" because it suggests to me that the thing it refers to would only be chosen by someone without a brain, which is the opposite of what it's meant to mean.

I think you're a bit simplistic with opposites there. The opposite to a no-brainer would be a some-brainer, a decision takes some time to work out and makes a lot of success. A no-brainer usually makes only a little success.

I always wonder about 9/11. What happened on the 9th of November?