Getting It On - Writing and producing TV comedy

Having recently left the BBC after 20 years in television comedy production, former script editor, producer and executive Micheál Jacob has now written his first book on the subject, which the BCG is proud to publish.

Legendary executive producer Jon Plowman says: "I can think of very few people in the world better qualified to write about the art, craft and sheer hard slog of making comedy than Micheál Jacob. He has done it himself professionally - more than most people who write such books - and got the best out of others who do it on TV and elsewhere. You are in the presence of one of the best."

<center>Getting It On - Writing and producing television comedy

Getting It On

</center>

The book is sure to become an indispensible guide for anyone aspiring to make comedy for British television, whether writing or performing. Mixing anecdotes and examples from Micheál's career with plain, easy-to-follow tips and advice, it aims to guide new writers and aspiring producers through the complexities of the industry, avoiding pitfalls both professional and creative, and to help all sides of production understand the motives of the others.

Currently available as a PDF, the book is out to buy now.

Micheál has also prepared a short article based on some extracts from the book, entitled Mapping a path through the sitcom jungle.

Would prefer something solid. Will it be published as such and how much?

That sounds really good, I think I'll treat myself.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th December 2013, 10:27 PM GMT

Would prefer something solid. Will it be published as such and how much?

It may be, but we have no set plans at present so I don't know when. It's also likely to be pricier if so, because printing and binding involves 3rd parties we do not currently have to accommodate.

I'd really love to hear what people think of it - the aim is to be helpful and practical, so if I can do anything to make it better or more useful, then those thoughts will be taken on board for, we hope, something solid Chappers. The best feedback is, of course, wild adulation, but the most useful is the pernickety and the critical.

For what it's worth, I have read the first ten pages so far and it is very straight to the point without much faffing; getting on with the useful business of telling people what they should do, both technically (formatting and such) and 'artistically' (for want of a better phrase).

Basically it appears to be answering pretty much every question posed in this forum in one handy electronic place.

This to me is a good thing.

Dan

Can you cut and paste it all in a thread please?

Ironically, the formatting would be all wrong...

Dan

I've got it! Love the content, but the PDF format is a bit of a faff to be honest. An e-book would be much more user friendly.

I would definitely recommend it.

Just got around to finishing this. It really is excellent.

Micheal doesn't faff with teaching you how to write and just puts down the pertinent points like dos and don'ts, which is quite refreshing, rather than getting into lengthy discussions about character and plot. He tells you what works from a commissioning point-of-view.

Following this, the book goes into detail about what'll happen once your script is getting somewhere, who everyone involved is, who you're likely to meet and the trials and tribulations of seeing a script being produced, along with some forthright opinions along the way.

I've not read anything like this before. It's more 'the journey to expect on the road to a sitcom being produced' than a writers' bible, but, as such, relevant to anybody who's interested in any of the roles discussed also; writers, producers, actors and all those in between.

Recommended.

Dan

Cheers Dan, thank you for that. Aaron and I are discussing producing a physical version - or a real book as I prefer to think of it - because I know the PDF is a pain.

If you - or anyone else who has read it and notices this - have any thoughts on how it might be better, cover other things, expand on some things, etc - then please let me know and I'll act accordingly.

Does this only cover the half hour sitcom or is there anything on longer comedy drama?

It's essentially about half hour comedy/comedy-drama, but areas such as character development, structure, and different ways to organise plot are relevant to longer form writing. Indeed, I'm applying my half hour experience to two feature films at present. But if a section on longer form would be useful, I'll certainly add one or build it in to what's there.

Is it available in paper version yet? I don't like these nee fangled things that don't take up any space.

You want it on stone tablet you old git.