Gazza Sketch Page 2

I think the best thing to do, is on the new BSG site, have a 'Beef' forum where people can duel it out all they like.

I have no more to say in this thread.

winter - you didn't deserve that criticism. Yes, you do post a lot but that's a good sign. And, some of it works, some doesn't, but that's the nature of sketches. Perhaps only 50% of M& Webb hit the mark last night and that's from the best in the business.

Keep it up.

Quote: Winterlight @ February 22, 2008, 6:21 PM

I'm sorry, Pete, but you can't come down on a joke simply because the subject has affected you in some way.

Say you've got a stand up comic doing his routine. It's likely that at least one thing in their set will be relevant to individuals in the audience. The rest of the material will be something hasn't affected them. If we followed your idea of 'niceties' then comedy would consist of people saying nothing.

Thanks for your response Winterlight and I apologize that in the heat of the moment my comments my have become personal.

But as I have said, I'm OK with insensitive comedy when it's funny. Like you I find 'nice' comedy bland and uninteresting. Give me 'Vic Reeves Big Night Out' or 'Alan Partridge' over 'Ever Decreasing Circles' or 'My Family' anytime.

It's just I honestly can't see any comic value in the line "I've got a criminal record as long as a thalidomide's arm." I'm genuinely baffled. How is that funny ?

We should possibly leave this as it is probably getting neither of us anywhere.

Take care

Quote: FoxyBox @ February 22, 2008, 6:24 PM

I'm absolutely amazed anyone is picking out Winterlight as a bad writer with no hope of making it in the writing business.

Also, Winterlight gives every indication of being a very nice guy.

Why would anyone on a comedy forum kick a very nice guy who writes funny stuff?

I have no way of telling if he is a nice guy or not FoxyBox. But this discussion just illistrates how political correctness is so f@cked.

Say instead of having "I've got a criminal record as long as a thalidomide's arm." on his website he'd written

" As long as a black man's d1ck" or " As long as a Jew's nose", people would be slagging him off for being prejudice, but take the michael out of thalidomide victims [and they are victims of a profit mad drugs company] , who let's face it are an easy target, then it's all fine and dandy.

Just give it some thought, that's all I ask.

TBH having a go at someone for something he's written on his MySpace page off the back of an unrelated sketch in this critique forum is a bit off.

If you were really upset by this maybe you should have PMd him?

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the sketch and you seem to be making it far more personal than it needs to be, out of a sense of feeling wronged.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/5504

Winterlight advertises his My Space site on this forum.I was just followning the link James.

I'm not trying to cause even more tension (honest!), but I am interested to know, Nigel, does the fact this sketch targets alcoholics and suicidals (if that is indeed a word) offensive?

I can understand someone taking personal offence at a 'funny' remark that has a painful personal significance.

The thalidome remark could be both acceptable and hilarious coming from a character who's a complete twat (Alan Partridge?) but it is, in my view, highly unlikely to be acceptable when coming from a real-life person.