Writing for Viz - questions

Hi all,

Is there anyone here who has written for Viz and might be able to answer a few questions?

I was wondering if you submit a Top Tips or Letterbocks online how long before they get back to you to tell you it's in. (I'm assuming you get no reply if your submissions don't get in but please tell me if I'm wrong on that). Also - do they pay for them?

For comic strips / weird adverts do they have a submission policy? Does anyone have a link to where this is?

I've recently had my twelve year old self begging me to try and get something in Viz magazine (he also wants me to write Judge Dredd for 2000AD, the unrealistic muppet) so any info would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

I've had things that I've submitted online get published but as far as I'm aware I don't think there was any notification and certainly no payment!

Wot no Viz pencil

Email stevie@viz.co.uk and ask her.

Thanks all - really helpful!

Beaky - I'll definitely e-mail stevie and if I get any answers I'll share them on this forum.

The email address isn't valid anymore. I tried emailing and got a postmaster report

I sent stuff in once and they used my name at the bottom of a tip I didn't send in. Got very paranoid that part of my name was in some way a euphemism I wasn't aware of

Quote: blahblah @ 3rd April 2014, 11:10 AM BST

The email address isn't valid anymore. I tried emailing and got a postmaster report

She must have left - the address was from 2010. Try Jenny Thorp: shop@viz.co.uk (the only other email I've got)

Quote: blahblah @ 3rd April 2014, 11:10 AM BST

The Royal Mail own the net now? :O

I did get paid by Viz for a mock review faux TV show. Whether it was published in the end, I don't know as I don't live in the UK. For the record, I think the cheque was £50-60 for 600-ish words, or something like that. It was back in late-2012.

IIRC I have had a couple of things in Top Tips and Letterbox back in the day, but I don't think they notified them. However, I was once notified of an in-house Letterbox that was a similar theme to one I had submitted. They wanted to pre-warn me and make sure I didn't kick up a plagiarism fuss, which is fair-enough.

I used to put a fair few things into Profanisaurus, but they are obviously never notified, besides surname/initial at the bottom of the page and the promise of a phantom pencil.

As an aside, it is very difficult to get things into Viz. Over half over the magazine is taken by comics, and there a lot of adverts; both real adverts (slogan t-shirts, ringtones, chat lines, podcasts etc.) and fake adverts (Ted West-themed teddy bears - "Ted West" :D), as well as a high percentage of other in-house content.

I've had a couple of things in Viz and the address I sent them to was viz@viz.co.uk

They pay £60 per quarter page for articles.

Quote: SFark @ 28th April 2014, 12:01 PM BST

I've had a couple of things in Viz and the address I sent them to was viz@viz.co.uk

They pay £60 per quarter page for articles.

Angela Dury has always been very willing to receive articles, get them on Graham Dury's monthly pile and inform me of the (usually!) "not this time...".

Email address: angelamdury 'at' g.m.a.i.l 'dot' com

I just wrote an article in LETTERBOX about the Fat Slags and within minutes I had an email from Angela about it.

If it gets published I'll print it here

Anyone got a favourite Profanisaurus entry they contributed.

I was quite proud of 'Asboranto'.

About 20 years ago I was the proud recipient of a letter from Viz suggesting that I should write for the Radio Times or Gardeners World.

In other words a rejection letter.