New writer needing tips

I've never wrote comedy before, but the owner of my local theatre believes I can do it!
What I would like to know is how do I start writing stand up?
In the past I have written poetry so this is pretty new to me, so trying to understand the layout of stand up and how to become a successful comedy writer!

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Tracey got the venue but not the material.

Ok you need to think of writing lots of gags and linking them together.

Probably about 30-40 if you're doing 5-10 minutes.

Each joke should be a self contained thing, it shouldn't sound like a joke e.g. knock knock, who's there

more like an observation

e.g.

Men can't live with them, can't live with out them, actually you can but if you want to get pregnant, you have to get them to wank in your turkey baster, then what are you going to do at Christmas.

thanks for the prompt reply sootyj
just going to attempt a 5 min one to start with
I'm good with standard jokes, so stand up is a challenge for me

Thank you

Tracey

hey send us your email and I'll send you my average book on writing your first routine

look out for advice from some of the better standups on this site

Write stand up sitting down.

Quote: Marc P @ 18th January 2014, 11:40 PM GMT

Write stand up sitting down.

Lol! thanks for the tip :D

:). It's the way forward!

And give us a pome.

Watch lots of stand-up. Make notes, study it.

Quote: BoomBoomBoom @ 19th January 2014, 12:22 PM GMT

Watch lots of stand-up. Make notes, study it.

Isnt that why Michael MacIntyre had you arrested?

Quote: TraceyS @ 18th January 2014, 10:30 PM GMT

I've never wrote comedy before, but the owner of my local theatre believes I can do it!
What I would like to know is how do I start writing stand up?
In the past I have written poetry so this is pretty new to me, so trying to understand the layout of stand up and how to become a successful comedy writer!

Any help would be appreciated

I'd do this:
tell childhood stories,etc..to friends..or better yet acquaintances, with the latter you tend to give the best of yourself, whereas with old friends you don't.
Tell some of your stories (a good comic reveils secrets..) to some acquaintaces and see how they react.
Whatever they laugh at. Keep it.
your friends in the other hand are tricky, cause they could probably double guess everything. So, if you use them, they might not laugh at some GEMS..

Hi Tracey, if you write poetry already, why not have a go at writing funny poems? They could be the 'bread and butter' of your act, with some stand-up woven in. Just a thought...

I agree with Stylo here. Do what you know first, don't try too hard to come off like you think a stand-up 'should'. If you're out of your comfort zone, it's a lot harder to look confident.

I did a seven minute narrative for my first stand-up gig. There were no 'jokes' as such, it was just a story that was funny only due to dramatic irony.

It went much better than any of my subsequent attempts at comedy where I panicked about doing stand up 'properly' :) The only other success I had, really, was in comedy songs, which again were well within my comfort zone. Just do what you're best at and translate it to stage.

Quote: Stylo @ 25th February 2014, 12:27 PM GMT

Hi Tracey, if you write poetry already, why not have a go at writing funny poems? They could be the 'bread and butter' of your act, with some stand-up woven in. Just a thought...

Have you heard John Hegley?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KrQ3l0fqtw