Radio Drama/comedy

Does anyone have an interest in radio comedy?

I am desperately trying to set up some form of small crew that love radio comedy.
I know this isn't the most popular media form, but surely there's a few good people?

I write, produce, record, direct, act, edit, sound design, Zzzzzz.
Sorry I sent myself to sleep then.

Basically I'm looking for collaborates. I mainly write scifi or fantasy comedy. But have recently wrote a 50's style detective, mix with a psychic Sherlock homes character called 'napoleon Merryweather' - It is in pre-production at the minute, with a good couple of comedy actors on-board.

Just dipping my toe in here, to see if there's any people with the same passion.

Cheers all

I think it is probably a very healthy and creative thing to be doing right now.

I've been trying to listen to more radio stuff recently. Drama can be fine. For comedy, everything I've listened to except Hard to Tell is utter tosh. I'm sure radio is a good format for panel shows and the like, but the sitcoms (besides that one exception) are atrociously bad.

Hi Tony, that all sounds quite interesting, what sort of "collaborates" are you looking for? And how should they contact you?

Quote: BoomBoomBoom @ 11th January 2014, 2:25 PM GMT

I've been trying to listen to more radio stuff recently. Drama can be fine. For comedy, everything I've listened to except Hard to Tell is utter tosh. I'm sure radio is a good format for panel shows and the like, but the sitcoms (besides that one exception) are atrociously bad.

Have you had a listen to 'Elvenquest' good family orientated comedy.

it's recorded live, but adds rather than takes away from it.

Elevenquest is on my list of this years best comedies, in the survey, but a lot of people don't seem to like it. I think McGowan and Eldon, among others, are great in it. Not so much a fan of The Castle, but I enjoyed the Sci-Fi one, that starred Nicholas Lindhurst, the name of which escapes me.

Quote: BoomBoomBoom @ 11th January 2014, 2:25 PM GMT

Party is a good recent radio sitcom. Alice's Wunderland a top recent radio sketch show.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 11th January 2014, 2:47 PM GMT

Hi Tony, that all sounds quite interesting, what sort of "collaborates" are you looking for? And how should they contact you?

Hi Tony. Being honest, I haven't got a clue. I want to work on ideas that will be good enough to be pitched to Radio 4. Then if they get refused.
Make them anyway, and sell on Audible.

I've been making good headway in some area's.

I'm a sound designer and engineer myself, so the easy bit is getting it made.

I'm on my phone rather than laptop at the minute.
But if you put Anthony Sabanskis into shootingpeople.org that's me.
I want good collaborative comedy's more 6 part series, than sketchshows etc.
Or something different?
My emails headshaker@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

I enjoyed Graham Duff's Nebulous very much too.

There was a production called 'welcome to our village, please invade quietly'

To read the premise, I thought yea. Sounds good. But never really connected, then gave up after the 1st half hour.

Found it, it was called My First Planet. Old Harry's Game is also very good and worth checking out.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 11th January 2014, 6:40 PM GMT

Found it, it was called My First Planet. Old Harry's Game is also very good and worth checking out.

Found it. Think I started to listen to it then they pulled it off the playlist.
Glad you reminded me. I'll have another listen to that.

Quote: Tony Custard @ 11th January 2014, 6:34 PM GMT

Hi Tony. Being honest, I haven't got a clue.

Maybe have a think about it then. Sticking a microphone in front of someone isn't exactly hard is it? Sell yourself a little.

Quote: Marc P @ 11th January 2014, 9:46 PM GMT

Maybe have a think about it then. Sticking a microphone in front of someone isn't exactly hard is it? Sell yourself a little.

I know I'm a newb here, but I'm not sure I agree with you completely.
That's like saying, shoving a camera in front of someone isn't that hard?

Granted radio theatre in it's nature is easier to produce on a technical side than a visual format. With all the obvious differences, no lighting, no ugly actors?

Although the writing, (taking into consideration it's still a very visual format without the visual) the design of the audio etc. etc.
I have been involved with film and audio, and enjoy them both.
I've filmed in the middle of a rain cloud with the temperature just above freezing, then slept in a wet rag of a sleeping bag.
Just getting too old for that now.
So I'm concentrating on radio stuff, mainly for the cold and horrible months - Of which there will be a few, I've no doubt.

OK as far as selling myself, that's a good point. I do see posts on here with people asking for collaborations, and think "Who are you, what have you done, what style of comedy etc etc. So...

OK my names Tony Sabanskis, and I'm 41.
I am currently studying, and in my 2nd year at the University of Bolton, on a media, writing and production degree course.
My first year I finished with a 90 in production (Which even though doesn't count to your final grade, I was still proud of the fact I broke the grading chart, as it only shows what grades represent up to 80)

I was nominated for an 02 media award, which I was shortlisted for and got runner up. I was also nominated for the R.T.S student award, of which I've been shortlisted for, results are out at the end of Feb.

I'd previously done music for over ten years, and had some mid success with it. Producing and writing an album that got to 22 in the national album charts.
I spawned a saying, "Put a donk on it" (Annoying I know, but funny)
The guardian has the band in the top 50 of key events in the history of dance music.
I have also produced a good number of digital single releases, and dance music video's for a large record company.

I stopped producing dance when I stopped listening to it, and decided to concentrate more on film and comedy - Hence going back to uni as a mature student.

I like to write comedy scifi, as the world you can create in audio can be shit hot. Although I have just wrote a comedy thriller - Napoleon Merryweather - supernatural investigationist.
I have done a few client commission radio drama's, for local charity's and corporate stuff.
The website is still being built www.radiotheatre.co.uk

I'm looking for someone (Or plural) to bounce ideas off, help to write pitches and outlines to a professional level. Work on scripts etc.
I have the resources to produce final products to a professional level and have multiple spaces to record.

I am good with dialog, but probably struggle with structure. Probably due to the fact I write too much, then have to cut it all down.

If someone was interested, I need to know similar things I suppose.
What sort of stuff do they want to write, how long have they done it, blah blah.

Phewww, sorry about that, that was a bit long winded :)

Cheers
Tony

Much better Tony. 9/10

And most student films and or amateur/semi pro are ruined by poor sound recording if not all of them nearly.