Worst American sitcoms inflicted on the UK Page 8

2 Broke Girls has to be a pretty strong contender for the crown.

Nooo! I love that.

Quote: zooo @ January 15 2013, 4:59 PM GMT

Nooo! I love that.

This is the second most disappointed in you I've ever been.

Hehe.
But jokes about blowjobs and constant talk about cupcakes is funnn.

Anger Management seems to have made it to the UK on Comedy Central.

That sitcom is pretty terrible.

I watched the complete first series and I have no idea how.

There's just nothing funny about Charlie Sheen being an anger management therapist and him having constantly with his his therapist.

The jokes aren't funny, clever, nor creative and are quite played out and recycled.

Two and a Half Men I think, that is pretty bad

The worst in my opinion is How I met Your Mother. It's like Chris De Burgh's 'The Lady in Red' but in the form of a 197 episode sitcom.

Scrubs makes me hate the world until I change the channel.

The Big Bang Theory annoys me but I can see why it's popular. It's one of those shows where you can figure out the punchline several seconds before it's said. Maybe people find that comforting.

I love Police Squad but also slightly dislike it for only having six episodes. Darn it!

Wasn't there something called Kate and Allie? I vaguely remember it, and assume it was gash.

And another series about a tennis prodigy girl? Was on Channel 4 back in the day. Shit too, IIRC.

Also, nominations for Curb and My Name is Earl?! Are you f**king kidding me. I didn't read the whole thread, but if Flight of the Conchords made an appearance too, we're gonna have to step outside.

Finally, I didn't like Friends at all. But worst US sitcom ever? Seriously?

Seems like it became so undeservedly big that some people hate it to the point of under-rating it, which when talking about Friends is quite an achievement.

If Friends was some low-rated cult thing that had run for three seasons and been canceled, the same comedy snobs who deride it would be going on about how amazing it was and what a shame it had ended so soon.

It's like the new Coldplay song; if it was by Bon Iver or Vancouver Sleep Clinic the indie bloggers would be drooling all over it, because it's Chris Martin & co it's apparently terrible instead.

...my votes would be 2 Broke Girls (has anyone made a YouTube version of that without the laugh track?), According To Jim and Anger Management. Anger Management's writers don't even have an incentive to try, the network ordered 100 episodes straight off the bat so they could immediately sell it into syndication. Baffling.

Quote: SimonWing @ 1st March 2014, 4:27 AM GMT

Wasn't there something called Kate and Allie? I vaguely remember it, and assume it was gash.

And another series about a tennis prodigy girl? Was on Channel 4 back in the day. Shit too, IIRC.

I remember those two. Loved them!

What on earth are people carping on about with the issue of American sitcoms as if they are an intrusive disease? Have you watched our offerings such as the deplorable Miranda (amateurish Panto), Mrs Brown Boys (even industry people hate it) Citzen Khan (more 70's regurgitation) and even the pedestrian, cliched hammy My Family, despite its mystifying success. If our shows could be as half as witty as Seinfeld, Modern Family, Will & Grace, Parks & Recreations etc and as well acted, we wouldn't need to rely on overseas exports to make us laugh.

It's all personal opinion isn't it?

Personally I love Miranda

And Will and Grace is bloody awful IMO

I absolutely despise scrubs

Quote: maxine @ 1st March 2014, 9:45 PM GMT

What on earth are people carping on about with the issue of American sitcoms as if they are an intrusive disease? Have you watched our offerings such as the deplorable Miranda (amateurish Panto), Mrs Brown Boys (even industry people hate it) Citzen Khan (more 70's regurgitation) and even the pedestrian, cliched hammy My Family, despite its mystifying success. If our shows could be as half as witty as Seinfeld, Modern Family, Will & Grace, Parks & Recreations etc and as well acted, we wouldn't need to rely on overseas exports to make us laugh.

Speaking as an American fan of British comedy, I find Miranda funny and Mrs. Brown's Boys hilarious. Have never seen any Citizen Khan or My Family, so I can't comment on them. As for the "witty" and "well acted" American shows you mentioned Seinfeld was great but the other three are, in my opinion, terribly unfunny most of the time and the acting is pretty poor in them as well. When it comes to comedy the British stuff blows American programming out of the water, no contest.