Dave Allen: The Immaculate Selection

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/dave_allen_immaculate_select/

I am going to watch this legend how about you?

Will give that a watch.

Really looking forward to this, the guy was/is a genius. This is how comedy should be. If there are any youngsters out there I would urge you to watch this. Dave was way ahead of his time and probably one of the funniest of a generation

I watched it last night, it was pure comedy at its very best. Dave Allen was indeed ahead of his time being edgy before the young pretenders of the eighties. His often-scathing attacks on religious hypocritical behaviour did indeed land him in hot water, particularly in his native Ireland where at the time intolerance ruled - he even recieved death threats from the IRA. Young aspiring comedians could do far worse than study this man and his delivery of cracking wit and observation. It seems a lot of them today think they owe nothing to the likes of Dave Allen, sadly they are mistaken. I won't call him a "comedy genius" as that phrase is far too overused, but I will simply say see him for yourself then judge what he was.

Quote: Father Jack @ 5th January 2014, 4:28 PM GMT

It seems a lot of them today think they owe nothing to the likes of Dave Allen; sadly they are mistaken.

I think a fair few of today's comics know Allen's work very well and would consider him an influence.

If not a comedy genius, then a comedy legend...I prefer genius though :)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 5th January 2014, 5:13 PM GMT

If not a comedy genius, then a comedy legend...I prefer genius though :)

Legend it is then, I think it suits him perfectly.

He got great mileage out of the church, I'd place bets he had some influence on Graham Linehan writing Father Ted.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 5th January 2014, 5:21 PM GMT

He got great mileage out of the church, I'd place bets he had some influence on Graham Linehan writing Father Ted.

Undoubtedly in fact watching it you can see Dave Allen's fingerprints pop up all over it. And I am certain he would have loved to appear in an episode too.

Ooh, that would have been good, I could just imagine him hang-gliding into Craggy Island in a nun's habit!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 5th January 2014, 6:19 PM GMT

Ooh, that would have been good, I could just imagine him hang-gliding into Craggy Island in a nun's habit!

Now that would freak Father Jack out knowing how he feels about nuns! A hang-gliding, cross-dressing nun would certainly drive him to drink! Yup I think he would have fitted in nicely, no shoe-horning him into it would be required. He'd take to it like a duck to water and relish the task.

Graham Linehan confirmed on Twitter that they did want to use Dave in Father Ted (a parody of the 'Chicago Way' scene from The Untouchables). But he said No.

Quote: RJ @ 5th January 2014, 8:36 PM GMT

Graham Linehan confirmed on Twitter that they did want to use Dave in Father Ted (a parody of the 'Chicago Way' scene from The Untouchables). But he said No.

Very interesting info RJ, Perhaps that particular role didn't appeal to Dave Allen. We will never know. But can you just imagine how good he would have been in it?

Quote: Father Jack @ 5th January 2014, 8:53 PM GMT

Very interesting info RJ, Perhaps that particular role didn't appeal to Dave Allen we will never know, But can you just imagine how good he would have been in it?.

He had pretty much retired by then. Maybe he just didn't fancy it. But, yes, it would of be wonderful.

Quote: RJ @ 5th January 2014, 8:36 PM GMT

Can't remember the scene but can imagine Dave Allen doing a parody in Ted would have been brilliant. Shame he said no.