Who are your favourite funny ladies? Page 2

I was worried I might just be a bit sexist with all my favourite comedians being male, but thinking about it, there are loads popular comedians I don't like regardless of gender.

I've seen a lot of poor female stand ups but don't think enough get a chance generally. Do like Jo Brand, Shappi Khorsandi and Issy Suttie. Sarah Millican is probably good, just got tired of seeing her on EVERYTHING. Bridget Christie can be alright too.

Victoria Wood is a huge talent; I enjoyed Sarah Millican's radio series, but like most half-decent stand-ups she is becoming over exposed. Rita Rudner used to be good, but her last radio series was dreadful.Susan calman has grown on me.

The late Linda Smith was simply brilliant; and going back further there was the wonderful Joyce Grenfell.

Lots of good comedy actresses and comedy writers (though more in terms of novelists and columnists than script writers).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 5th November 2013, 10:17 AM GMT

Some more:

Amy Poehler
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Tina Fey
Maria Bamford
Tig Notaro

All of those are great actually, not just Tina. Although I don't know Tig.
I'm also a bit obsessed with Mindy Kaling.

I used to really love Sarah Millican but now I think too many of her jokes are just easy sexual innuendos which I just think anyone could do.

There'll be no dismissing of sexual innuendo around here!

:D
Well it's ok sometimes, but not one after the other for half an hour!

Speaking of innuendo. :O

That is filthy!! Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Oh I forgot Rita Rudner!

I can't believe Kay Burley has been overlooked... Clearly one of the funniest, most clever, most satirical and most versatile female comedy character actresses of our time.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone really hoodwinked us all for years and then came out and said "Gotcha! I'm very sensible and reasonable really!". Paul McMullen might just be a piece of performance art!

Quote: Harridan @ 18th November 2013, 12:46 AM GMT

Paul McMullen might just be a piece of performance art!

Paul McMullen the middle-distance American sprinter?

Women certainly shouldn't be classed as underrated, as obvious as it is to say so, but in a male dominated industry it'll often be the case that they are marginalised to some degree. A good female comic won't get as much oxygen as a good male one, or indeed a less talented one. At least, this is how I feel about it.

Having said that, in "alternative" comedy the playing field may be a little more level though still with discrepancies. Some of my favourite comics/people working in comedy regardless of gender are Josie Long, Bridget Christie, Maria Bamford and Tina Fey, none of which pander to stereotypes of female comedians. However, in light of Bridget Christie winning the Foster's award in Edinburgh this year for a show that addresses an important issue, leading to a largely sold out run at the Soho, it's an encouraging sign that important issues are given some sort of platform which audiences really want to listen to. Or so one would hope.

Pauline Calf. She is funny and a slut. Which is nice.

Ok here goes (even though I will certainly forget at least one person) :

Josie Long, Maria Bamford, Sara Pascoe, Amy Howerska, Jen Murphy, Celia Pacquola, Katie Lane, Saskia Preston, Elf Lyons, Sarah Millican, Amy Schumer, Carly Smallman, Sarah Callaghan, Katerina Vrana, Madge Hooks, Maeve Higgins, Eleanor Tiernan, Bridget Christie, Aideen McQueen, Jen Kirkman, Mae Martin.