How to become a bestselling author

I've received a few questions from people on this forum regarding how to get a book on Amazon's Kindle platform.

In truth, it's fairly easy to do and there are a million documents and guides that will talk you through the process; what is more difficult and in some ways more challenging than writing the book in the firstplace, is marketing the book so that it sells.

I have been lucky enough to have been featured by Amazon, spending 3 months in the top 100 while also topping the charts in both the Humour and the Biographies category. I managed to sell over 30,000 copies in the first few months of release and am now officially (according to Amazon's definition) a bestselling author.

While I think a fair bit of it was down to timing and good fortune, I have picked up a few tips and tricks along the way and I have explained them in my latest blog.

I thought it might be an interesting read for some

BTW - MY BOOK IS FREE ON AUGUST 17TH AND 18TH

http://andyleeks.wordpress.com/

Cheers

I don't think I've contributed to any of your previous threads, but just wanted to say congratulations on your success, it's great to see your hard work (and pleasant interactions with others) paying off.
Well done mate :)

Quote: AJGO @ August 16 2013, 1:58 PM BST

I don't think I've contributed to any of your previous threads, but just wanted to say congratulations on your success, it's great to see your hard work (and pleasant interactions with others) paying off.
Well done mate :)

Thanks AJGO, that means a lot :D

Did you give the book away free at any point? If so, how many of the 30,000 were actual money buys?

Quote: don rushmore @ August 16 2013, 2:07 PM BST

Did you give the book away free at any point? If so, how many of the 30,000 were actual money buys?

Hey Don, I don't count freebies as sales, the 30,000 figure is actual "paid for" sales.

I did a one day promo a week after it came out. I gave away 580 copies.

Cheers

Andy

Well done Minty, I remember your original posting about the book, that's some achievement.

Quote: Minty @ August 16 2013, 2:14 PM BST

I don't count freebies as sales, the 30,000 figure is actual "paid for" sales.

F**kin' hell. Big congratulations then. Will read your blog thing later. :)

Well done Minty.

Really impressive numbers. Are you making enough to write full time yet?

regards

playfull

Quote: playfull @ August 16 2013, 3:38 PM BST

Really impressive numbers. Are you making enough to write full time yet?

regards

playfull

If my wife hadn't have got herself pregnant and given up work, then maybe, but as I am now having to earn for the both of us, no.

I dare say it would be enough for some, but it's a risky call to make as the sales could dry up very quickly and then we would be stuck.

Can't take any risks when there are children to feed.

Quote: Minty @ August 16 2013, 5:01 PM BST

If my wife hadn't have got herself pregnant

Honestly, how rude of her to do that all by herself.

Congratulations on both baby and book :)

Quote: Jennie @ August 16 2013, 5:06 PM BST

Well the book was called 'While they slept' They might have been doing a little horizontal sleep walking...

Well done you now join the hallowed ranks of
"succesful BCGers who are only ever alluded to when some newbie says we're all failures"
Move over MarcP and Peter Sutcliffe.

To hold onto this hallowed seat, you must offer one massively patronising peice of advice a week, preferably whilst drunk.

Quote: sootyj @ August 16 2013, 5:29 PM BST

"succesful BCGers who are only ever alluded to when some newbie says we're all failures"

To hold onto this hallowed seat, you must offer one massively patronising peice of advice a week, preferably whilst drunk.

Marc doesn't get drunk :O

Quote: playfull @ August 16 2013, 5:22 PM BST

horizontal sleep walking...

Or rape, as some people call it. :)

(Obviously not applicable to your case, Minty)

Quote: Jennie @ August 16 2013, 5:06 PM BST

Congratulations on both baby and book :)

Thanks Jennie

Quote: sootyj @ August 16 2013, 5:29 PM BST

:D

Quote: playfull @ August 16 2013, 5:22 PM BST

Well the book was called 'While they slept' They might have been doing a little horizontal sleep walking...

;)

Quote: Jennie @ August 16 2013, 7:09 PM BST

Marc doesn't get drunk :O

Or rape, as some people call it. :)

(Obviously not applicable to your case, Minty)

Angelic