Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Morning.

Once my current writing project comes to an end in mid September, I will start work on my new book, "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!"

I've pasted the blurb below, to give you a feel of what it is about, but essentially, I was wondering if any of you had any interesting or weird and wonderful jobs hobbies or pastimes that you would be interested in me coming along and trying out?

To submit a suggestion please follow the link below

Thanks

Andy

http://form.jotformeu.com/form/31042821525343

We've all uttered the phrase "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!", but just thank your lucky stars that you've never said it in the presence of Andy Leeks. "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!" is the hilarious true life tale of a man determined not to knock anything, that is at least until he's tried it.

In a weird and wonderful adventure that takes him the length and breadth of Britain, Andy takes on a series of weird and wonderful jobs, hobbies, pastimes and more; meeting the most amazing collection of people along the way.

Ever wanted to breed rats and show them? Ever wanted to re-enact the English Civil War? Neither has Andy, but hey, Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.!

I can see this doing really well. I love Danny Wallace's books, "Yes Man", and "Join Me", which are in a similar genre.

Good luck with it!

Quote: George Kaplan @ July 29 2013, 2:45 PM BST

I can see this doing really well. I love Danny Wallace's books, "Yes Man", and "Join Me", which are in a similar genre.

Good luck with it!

Thanks George. Agreed, it is definitely a similar genre and one that I am not scared to admit; I too love the Wallace / Gorman take on the world.

Had my first book flopped, I don't think I would have had the courage to press ahead and get this one underway.

So far, I am going to Banbury to try a Cheese and Mint sandwich, Hastings to help someone show their pet rats, Ipswich to do some birdwatching, Portsmouth to do some Flight-hiking, Watford to do some Barbershop singing (in an all girl choir) and Leeds to try out Rackleton.

If anyone else has something they think I should try, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Andy

How about something to do with a brass band in Yorkshire? Learning to conduct maybe? Play the tuba?

I know many people like brass bands but not me. I know, Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

:D

Quote: Minty @ July 29 2013, 5:18 PM BST

If anyone else has something they think I should try, it would be great to hear from you.

How about David Smith showing you how to break and then repair a train door? :)

How did you come up with birdwatching in Ipswich?

Quote: Loopey @ July 29 2013, 8:34 PM BST

George Roper could give you a few tips.

Quote: George Kaplan @ July 29 2013, 8:41 PM BST

George Roper could give you a few tips.

I don't understand

Quote: Loopey @ July 29 2013, 8:44 PM BST

I don't understand

You as in Minty. :)

Quote: Loopey @ July 29 2013, 8:34 PM BST

None of them are things I have come up with myself. I will only ever do smething if invited to do it. Birdwatching in Ipswich is something that someone sent it in as a suggestion.

I'm assuming they are based in Ipswich but the bird watching will happen somewhere else in Suffolk. Either that or it will be a pretty boring afternoon sitting n someone's living room watching their bird table in the garden

I'm not on Twitter myself, but I would have thought you'd get some great suggestions and publicity for your book via Twitter.

I would imagine that local radio stations might run with it too.

Quote: Minty @ July 29 2013, 11:44 PM BST

None of them are things I have come up with myself. I will only ever do smething if invited to do it. Birdwatching in Ipswich is something that someone sent it in as a suggestion.

I'm assuming they are based in Ipswich but the bird watching will happen somewhere else in Suffolk. Either that or it will be a pretty boring afternoon sitting n someone's living room watching their bird table in the garden

I see. I asked because Ipswich isn't particularly famed for birdwatching but there are some well known birdwatching places in Suffolk.

There are lots of quirky, funny and interesting things in Suffolk and I thought you were aiming to do things/take part in customs associated with particular areas and birdwatching could be done anywhere.

That's not a criticism, I am trying to get the measure of your idea and what exactly you are looking for.

Quote: Loopey @ July 30 2013, 8:01 AM BST

I see. I asked because Ipswich isn't particularly famed for birdwatching but there are some well known birdwatching places in Suffolk.

There are lots of quirky, funny and interesting things in Suffolk and I thought you were aiming to do things/take part in customs associated with particular areas and birdwatching could be done anywhere.

That's not a criticism, I am trying to get the measure of your idea and what exactly you are looking for.

Hey Loopey, I want the book to be as organic as possible, and by that I mean that I don't want to influence what I end up doing. I am sure there are lots of weird and wonderful things to do in suffolk for example, but I feel that the book will be too contrived if I just Google all of the weird shit that goes on and then start inviting myself along.

I've got a decent Facebook following from my first book series and have a nice selection of things to try out and it is my hope that over time, the word will spread and more and more people invite me to come along to whatever it is they want me to try out.

I think it is really important that I am invited along, rather than me contacting them and ask to tag along. If I start out as an invited guest, rather than a resented gooseberry, then I feel that the relationship will be stronger and the story more believable.

Quote: Minty @ July 30 2013, 12:49 PM BST

Hey Loopey, I want the book to be as organic as possible, and by that I mean that I don't want to influence what I end up doing. I am sure there are lots of weird and wonderful things to do in suffolk for example, but I feel that the book will be too contrived if I just Google all of the weird shit that goes on and then start inviting myself along.

I've got a decent Facebook following from my first book series and have a nice selection of things to try out and it is my hope that over time, the word will spread and more and more people invite me to come along to whatever it is they want me to try out.

I think it is really important that I am invited along, rather than me contacting them and ask to tag along. If I start out as an invited guest, rather than a resented gooseberry, then I feel that the relationship will be stronger and the story more believable.

Fair enough :D
I could see an opportunity for publicity for all parties but I get what you are saying. I'll keep my suggestions to myself for now, but do keep us posted. :)