- Maggie Smith, Tom Courtenay, Billy Connolly, Pauline Collins, Sheridan Smith and Michael Gambon
- Ronald Harwood
- Dustin Hoffman
- Finola Dwyer, Stewart MacKinnon, Jamie Laurenson, Dario Suter, Christoph Daniel, Marc Schmidheiny, Dickon Stainer, Xavier Marchand and Dustin Hoffman
Lifelong friends Wilf and Reggie, together with former colleague Cissy, are residents of Beecham House, a home for retired opera singers. Every year on Giuseppe Verdi's birthday, the residents unite to give a concert to raise funds for their home. But when Jean Horton, a former grande dame of the opera fallen on hard times, also Reggie's ex-wife and the fourth and most celebrated member of their former quartet, moves into the home to everyone's surprise, the plans for this year's concert start to unravel.
As old grudges threaten to undermine past glories and theatrical temperaments play havoc with the rehearsal schedule, it becomes apparent that having four of the finest singers in English operatic history under one roof offers no guarantee that the show will go on.
Based on Ronald Harwood's stage play of the same name, Quartet is a wickedly comic film about redefining old age and growing old with hope; demonstrating how art illuminates life and the human spirit remains undimmed even as the brightest stars start to fade.
- UK certificate
- 98 minutes
- Most recent repeats
- Thursday 4th February 2021 at 9:00pm on BBC4
- Thursday 20th August 2020 at 9:00pm on BBC4
- Sunday 16th August 2020 at 11:45pm on BBC1 Scot