- Norman Wisdom, Jennifer Jayne, Raymond Huntley, David Lodge, Esma Cannon, Eric Barker, Eleanor Summerfield, Ronnie Stevens and more
- Jack Davies, Norman Wisdom and Eddie Leslie
- Bob Asher
- Hugh Stewart and Earl St. John
Norman Pitkin works in the car park of the Metropolitan Police's headquarters, the infamous Scotland Yard. He longs to be recruited as a policeman and get out on the beat catching criminals, like his celebrated, late father - but due to his diminutive stature (and not a little also his error-prone nature), he is forever being turned down for police training.
After a latest round of failures to enrol, and some fresh embarrassments with the Commissioner's car, Norman's about to be sacked from the force's employment entirely: until it is noticed that he bares more than a passing resemblance to celebrity and high society hairdresser Julio Neapolitani. His luxurious salon is, in fact, a front for one of the capital's most prolific crime rings - and aside from a moustache, the resemblance is such the two could have been separated at birth.
It's not long before Pitkin is duly put to task by the force, infiltrating the premises in the guise of Neapolitani and attempting to gather as much information as possible. However, in exchange for taking part in the plan, Norman's finally secured himself a role in uniform... sort of.
As he wrestles with Julio's associates (not to mention Julio himself), a group of children playing football, a beautiful young woman and leads a charge of half the Met's officers through London's streets, Norman gets a real dose of what life is like on the beat!
Stream and download
- UK certificate
- 106 minutes
- UK release
- Sunday 23rd December 1962
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Black and white
- Most recent repeats
- Tuesday 21st July 2020 at 11:10am on TPTV
- Saturday 18th April 2020 at 10:40am on TPTV
- Monday 3rd February 2020 at 11:30am on TPTV
- Pinewood Studios - Studios
- Windsor - Exterior locations filmed almost exclusively in Windsor