Nerd News Page 46

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2011, 6:40 PM GMT

Actually, doesn't Christopher Nolan have something to do with the new Superman film? I think he set up what it will be about, or how to do a Superman film now, or something.

It's his brother that was involved, I think they were dropped in favour of Zack Snyder.

It's so disapointing that a Nicolas Cage, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith awsome fest was replaced by the utter tripe that was the last Supes movie.

It took a force of will worthy of Darkseid to sit through it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2011, 6:34 PM GMT

I was reading some Kevin Smith stuff and he mentioned how he was hired to write a Superman script (Which Tim Burton chucked aside when he took over) and was told he wasn't allowed to have Superman flying as they thought it was silly and would look rubbish. So they wanted a Superman movie in which Superman, quite well known for his ability to fly, was not going to fly. Some people are proper dumb.

In fairness Kevin Smith in the last few years has come out as being a bit of a moaning old queen though, and having fans of the source make the film doesn't always work out ala Watchmen.

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2011, 6:44 PM GMT

It's so disapointing that a Nicolas Cage, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith awsome fest was replaced by the utter tripe that was the last Supes movie. It took a force of will worthy of Darkseid to sit through it.

Because they want a franchise and won't take risks. That said, I enjoyed the last movie and the kryptonite continent. That was quite a nifty way to nullify supie's powers.

Quote: chipolata @ January 30 2011, 6:48 PM GMT

Because they want a franchise and won't take risks. That said, I enjoyed the last movie and the kryptonite continent. That was quite a nifty way to nullify supie's powers.

Didn't nulify it enough for him to fly the f**ker into space and hurl it though, and the kid urgh.

Quote: chipolata @ January 30 2011, 6:48 PM GMT

It was rubbish

The old ones so much better

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2011, 6:51 PM GMT

It was rubbish

The old ones so much better

1,2 and 3 are good. 3 is a little weak at the end.

after that forget it.

3 is a mess, but its a great big jolly mess a whole pile of great scenes in a poorish film that somehow works.

Supermans battle with his dark self may be one of the best scene in films ever

Quote: Gavin @ January 30 2011, 6:45 PM GMT

In fairness Kevin Smith in the last few years has come out as being a bit of a moaning old queen though, .

Nah, he's great, he always makes a lot of sense, too. He's just got strong opinions and doesn't like idiots.

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2011, 6:59 PM GMT

3 is a mess, but its a great big jolly mess a whole pile of great scenes in a poorish film that somehow works.

Supermans battle with his dark self may be one of the best scene in films ever

Thats what I love about it the desaturation of the suit is so subtly brilliant, comes to a head in the Bar when he's getting ratted. I really like that part of it. The Brianiac bit is meh.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2011, 7:02 PM GMT

Nah, he's great, he always makes a lot of sense, too. He's just got strong opinions and doesn't like idiots.

Don't get me wrong he's done good stuff. But equally can't cry foul when you make crap like Cop Out and stuff like it really

Was that computer meant to be Braniac?

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2011, 7:07 PM GMT

Was that computer meant to be Braniac?

Yup,that's what Richard Pryor calls it.

How Bizarro I always miss that.

But it ain't Brainiac really.

You're right about the slow decay of Superman.

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2011, 7:13 PM GMT

How Bizarro I always miss that.

But it ain't Brainiac really.

You're right about the slow decay of Superman.

No it's not true Brianiac it's a throw away reference for fans of the comics. Kinda nice. Pointless but nice.

Quote: Gavin @ January 30 2011, 7:07 PM GMT

Don't get me wrong he's done good stuff. But equally can't cry foul when you make crap like Cop Out and stuff like it really

He was really only a gun for hire on that though, didn't write it, so it's not 'his' movie like the others. But yeah, I've heard it's not great.