The Olympics Page 9

Quote: Griff @ August 7 2008, 6:30 PM BST

I might watch the pole vault this year.

Ok, there shouldn't be a page without this photo on it.

20 billion spent on the olympics. And things are much cheaper in China. If we try to match that and the opening ceremony for London we'll be bankrupt.

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 8 2008, 6:12 PM BST

Ok, there shouldn't be a page without this photo on it.

20 billion spent on the olympics. And things are much cheaper in China. If we try to match that and the opening ceremony for London we'll be bankrupt.

We're going to embarrass our selves. Westlife will be infront of the crowd or something shit.

I've said it numerous times, but this is one case where I wish the French had beaten us.

The opening ceremonies air here in about 45 minutes. Is/was there anything worth watching, or was it just another orgy of synchronized dancing and fireworks?

I don't think I've bothered to watch any of the Games since 1976.

It was, quite frankly, astonishing. There was about 45 min to an hour of stuff before the athletes started entering the stadium. That was just beyond words. The athlete rubbish took about three hours and was more boring than words can express, but then the actual lighting of the torch was fantastic.

It broadcast here from 12:45pm to 5:15pm.

I'll tune in (or at least record it.) Being on the other side of the planet from China means we don't get much live sport this year. I've already read the results hours before the competitions air.

I think my favorite opening ceremony was Los Angeles in 1984. Rocket Man came as quite a surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvwd5gYaILI

Mental.

Watching the opening ceremony with my kids. Very nice.

I was going to bed, but on BBC online I've happened to stumble across Norway v Belgium in women's volleyball.

That's a shame isn't it.

These gymnasts are muscular young men.

Quote: Winterlight @ August 9 2008, 3:10 PM BST

These gymnasts are muscular young men.

But they do look a bit like mutants. I demand decathletes! (Or archers, obviously.)

Oh bugger, I've missed gymnastics mutants!

So, is Ireland included in our GBR team? Or do they have their own team out there?

Eire have their own team. Ours is Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

Ahhh. I see.

We should combine! More medals.

I just read that Taiwan is being referred to as "Chinese Taipei" during the Olympics and they can't use their national flag due to Chinese whining. I'd like to see one of their athletes win a medal and whip out a flag on the stand in a modern take on the infamous 1968 "black power" salute.