Good words

Sorry if I have just bounded in but if many of you are writers, I'm sure you have good words you like to use.
If I come across an unusual word or one I don't understand I love to find the meaning and then use it where I can.

Such as;

Coprolites or Coprolite (the spell check hasn't even heard of this one)
It's fossilized dinosaur er dung. It's got to be a good word to call someone in a cheery voice so they don't realise you are insulting them.

Quote: Ronald S @ 20th July 2016, 4:06 PM BST

Coprolites or Coprolite (the spell check hasn't even heard of this one)
It's fossilized dinosaur er dung.

I've known the meaning of that word since I was a kid. I also have a large chunk of fossilized dino poop on a shelf in my home. The neighborhood kids love it.

The next time I hear the customary, "What are you up to now, you old piece of coprolite..?" I shall respond vengefully.

I did know the word but had forgotten it's meaning.

Is that your actual piece of dino poop?

Let's not get into coprophagia. Though I once put that on an Immigration form under "purpose of visit".

Quote: DaButt @ 20th July 2016, 4:23 PM BST

I've known the meaning of that word since I was a kid. I also have a large chunk of fossilized dino poop on a shelf in my home. The neighborhood kids love it.

And you've got an English pound coin on your shelf too?

Very suspicious. I always thought you were too American...

Quote: Ronald S @ 20th July 2016, 4:06 PM BST

Sorry if I have just bounded in but if many of you are writers, I'm sure you have good words you like to use.

It's an area I'm interested in. Very often in rewriting, it's possible to slot in some (for want of a better term) 'funny' words just to amuse the ear a tad. Of course, funny words alone will usually not be enough, they are more like a seasoning on the comedic dish. Nobody wants a pile of salt for dinner.

I've always liked the word flibbertigibbet, but I rarely get to use it in any writing. I prefer saying it out loud because of the rhythm of the syllables.

Transmogrification?

Anthropomorphise?

Obviously I've spelled them wrong as they're underlined in red.

moggy

plop

sausages

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Quote: zooo @ 20th July 2016, 6:05 PM BST

Is that your actual piece of dino poop?

Yep. Don't let the coin throw you, I wanted to illustrate the size and figured that you might not be familiar with American coinage, so I dug out an old pound coin from my sock drawer. :)

Yes, I was going to say it was very thoughtful of you!

On eBay or etsy people often put things next to an American coin instead of giving measurements, and it's no help at all to 99% of the world. :)

(Not that I've bought dino poop on ebay.)

Quote: zooo @ 21st July 2016, 10:50 AM BST

On eBay or etsy people often put things next to an American coin instead of giving measurements, and it's no help at all to 99% of the world. :)

Shouldn't that be 95.6% of the world? Huh?

Do you have any Polish zloty in case Eastern Europe are interested in your poop?