Detectorists - Series 1 Page 4

Greetings from a metal detectorist amateur (mtc cocoon wim)
from a Belgium detectorclub (DVVL detector vrienden Vlaanderen)

As a complete addict detectorist, me and some friends watched
the episodes (to nr 5) using You tube and were surprised about
the many small details, truths, frustrations, situations,
somethimes funny and somtimes less in the existance of the detectorist.

This is not only simply a comedy but mutch more, pure relaxing
for me to look at susch productions.

Please more stories from this kind.

Groeten
MTC Cocoon Wim

Quote: fightxfight @ 1st November 2014, 9:20 AM GMT

'what do you recommend something lovely and easy going to watch I would recommend this particular show for sure.

Hi their in Belarus. I'm not sure I want my comedy to be lovely and easy going. I feel the best ones sort of have an underlying darkness to them. Blackadder IV did, OFAH had the social issues which Boyce highlighted so well. Porridge had the same edge at times. Storytelling first, comedy entwined within. The opposite of Not Going Out for instance.
Still I laughed a lot at the last episode which is in marked contrast to the usual dross offered as 'comedy'. Plus there is an excellent storyline maintained throughout. It has greatness within its grasp perhaps. Time will tell.

The actress who plays the wife previously swapped bodies with Martin Freeman . . . so is this some sort of Gareth fantasy about marrying Tim?

Is this some sort of fantasy where they're actually called Gareth and Tim, Scotia? Just wondering...

As RHLSTP has taught us everything is made better by putting Tim from the Office in it . . .

Well, that was nice . . . and great news that it's returning next year . . . sorry, that's late next year in case people were expecting it in January . . .

Next up Puppy Love . . . not sure about that, but Scanlan and Pepperdine's pedigree does hold promise . . . (did you see what I did there?).

Quote: Tursiops @ 25th October 2014, 11:14 PM BST

Loving Johnny Flynn's score for this.

The music is wonderful. I don't know the background to it but the vocals are authentic to the sixties and early seventies rather than modern and contrived. To start thinking of Robbie Basho and others of similar ambience is to know that it has been chosen to dig deep. Please let me have more information about it.

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 6th November 2014, 10:34 PM GMT

Well, that was nice . . . and great news that it's returning next year . . . sorry, that's late next year in case people were expecting it in January . . .

Great to hear that there will be a second series. A pity that it will be late in 2015. I enjoyed the last episode very much. Nice that they stuck with the sensitive use of colour until the end. Two in the pub in blue. The other two in green. I also liked the artistic underground ending although felt that it should have blurred into the final scene of them on the hills rather than cut away abruptly. The timing of that edit didn't seem quite right. While I find the combination of gentle and sweary a bit of a challenge - I prefer such things to be separated out - there was something very moving about this series in its entirety. It consistently touched a nerve at just the right moment. Parts of it could be described as beautiful. And, yes, think Leigh and Loach.

It reminded me of the weekend I spent in Glastonbury. Having been to the festival umpteen times, I was increasingly aware that I had never set foot in the town. No one else was interested in investigating it so I left a few at the cricket in Taunton and took a bus there on my own. With my tent pitched in a field on the outskirts, I walked about and chatted with anyone who I happened to meet there during the next 48 hours.

The focus was inevitably on the pubs and I spent an evening in one with characters much like those in the programme. In the next couple of days, we bumped into each other frequently outdoors to the extent that I started to wonder if they and their dogs on strings actually had homes. The key moment was going alone up the tor at midnight and finding two musicians in the tower, one a piper and the other a drummer. None of us spoke. They played for a good quarter of an hour to the sky, then packed their things up and left without even acknowledging me. There was a mystique to the entire two days. It didn't quite feel like the real world.

Minor classic in the making?

Quote: gb901 @ 6th November 2014, 11:16 PM GMT

Minor classic in the making?

Yes - I think so. I feel very happy about it. It has left an impression. :)

Second series on the way, folks!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001647/bbc_four_detectorists_series_2_commission/

Absolutely loved this, brilliantly written and acted by Mackenzie with great support from all of the cast.

Beautifully shot, edited and scored too, just about perfect, a fantastic study of relationships and the distractions of life which make human existence so wonderful.

Okay the humour may've been fairly gentle and underplayed but, I think, every episode had at least one laugh-out-loud moment and plenty of chuckles.

I wasn't very excited about it at first, but it turned out to be really good. Looking forward to series 2.

Very well produced, the style was similar to many other slightly slanted comedies, reminded me of The Wild West, Grass and Peter Kay's sitcoms and other comedy dramas. Like these it tried too hard for quirks, Simon & Garfunkel were OTT but I missed the first 4 eps where they were probably vital to the story arc. The new trend for comedy serials annoys me as you have to watch from 1 to 6 to get the full picture.

I liked the slow and airy feel, it wasn't afraid to be dull at times. This reflected the reality of the subject. The romcom angle will make it popular but not with me and how did he pull a bird like that to start with? :S In the next series Pixie Lott plays Toby Jones' new wife.

Aaron, 'names like James do not require a second s when possessive.' Maybe you should write a sitcom about over keen website editors.

Hopefully the success of this series will convince the BBC of the benefits of a clear creative vision, and we will see a move away from sitcom by committee.

Quote: Tursiops @ 8th November 2014, 11:30 PM GMT

Hopefully the success of this series will convince the BBC of the benefits of a clear creative vision, and we will see a move away from sitcom by committee.

Like what?
Vast majority of BBC sitcoms currently being made are clearly of an authorial voice, even ones that I don't rate such as Mrs Brown's Boys.
And as much a I loved Detectorists lets not call it being recommissioned on BBC4 a resounding success, put it on the network and see how well it fairs . . .