What DVD are you watching? Page 45

The first series of League of Gendermen was beyond awesome. Makes Little Britain look like Mrs Brown's Boys. Take or leave the rest.
Fry and Laurie peaked with the second series. What I love about the Michael Jackson sketch is I first watched it with a six-year-old relative and when Stephen Fry appeared, he went, 'Heeyyy! That's not Michael Jackson.'
Stephen Fry makes me cringe these days. Soooo smug and clever-little-me.

Alfresco

I bought this about 10 years ago and I'm still barely half way through the episodes

Painful

Yeah, I remember reading about that on Chortle. Finally found it on YouTube and it's beyond awful. Couldn't even finish the first episode. Strange when you consider the talent involved.

An Oscar winner, for one!

Top talent, and Emma Thompson.

I know I've written this before, but even though I'm a Young Ones fanatic, I'm not overstruck by the other stuff. Bottom and Dangerous Brothers are fun but throwaway, Saturday Live is more up and down than my mother's undies, and even the much-touted early Ben Elton is all energy and preachy politics and no laughs. Happy Families is cool, though... Just because you get one thing right, it doesn't give you a Midas Touch. Check J D Salinger.

Ben Elton's observational standup in the 80s was laugh out loud but much of it was in the delivery and his manic energy. I remember him talking about how microwaves always have stale peas and Bic pens under them and the dilemma of needing a number two at a dinner party and laying down toilet paper to 'cushion the blow'. I'd like to watch more drama that the comic strip guys did especially Rik who has has huge body of work I've never seen.

90% of Comic Strip Presents is tedious and unfunny

It is, in the words of Sylvia Plath, total and utter f**king shit.
Alexei Sayle's Comic Strip ep is good.
Ben Elton used to be a sweary c**t. Now he's just a c**t.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 30th September 2023, 1:50 PM

laying down toilet paper to 'cushion the blow'.

There was a bit on The Man From C**tie where he says he did that and looks around knowingly saying, 'Quite a lot of people here thinking they were the only ones who did that, eh?' I wasn't laughing at how right he was, but at the idea of how he thought he was right and couldn't've been more f**ked up. No f**ker has EVER done that, mate.
10.30 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NULTT6f-TeM

Moneyball with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill has become one of my favourite films. They both bring some humour in parts but it's an absorbing drama about the career of former major league baseball player turned manager Billy Beane who put together a team made up of unknown and low ranked players.

I don't give a f**k about the new Saw movie. Bet it's shit.
Typical Saw fan:
'The first Saw was great, but Saw 2 was shit and Saws 3 and 4 were f**king shit too. Saws 5, 6 and 7 were beyond total shit. And Saws 8 and 9 were beyond total and utter f**king shit.' - 'Saw 10 is out.' - 'OMG, that's f**king AWESOME news! Can't waaaiiiit! Gotta getta ticket NOW!'

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th October 2023, 4:55 PM

I don't give a f**k about the new Saw movie. Bet it's shit.
Typical Saw fan:
'The first Saw was great, but Saw 2 was shit and Saws 3 and 4 were f**king shit too. Saws 5, 6 and 7 were beyond total shit. And Saws 8 and 9 were beyond total and utter f**king shit.' - 'Saw 10 is out.' - 'OMG, that's f**king AWESOME news! Can't waaaiiiit! Gotta getta ticket NOW!'

Barry Norman's job is definitely safe

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th October 2023, 5:14 PM

Barry Norman's job is definitely safe

Well, SORT of, he's been dead for about 6 years!

Quote: a plate @ 6th October 2023, 1:02 AM

Well, SORT of, he's been dead for about 6 years!

Throwing a real corpse in to Michaels' routine is a sell out tour I want to be a part of. Corpses do very little anyway and we all have to pull together these days. I'm sure given the choice they would love to entertain in the slapstick style of Weekend At Bernies instead of lying there all day with nothing to do.

And why not?

Just watched my favourite film "Top Secret". There's still bits that make me laugh although I've seen it loads of times.

In spite of the fact that it's an Abraham, Zucker, Zucker film I'd forgotten how British it was. Loads of actors that I recognised 30 years younger such as Jim Carter, Warren Clarke, Jeremy Kemp and Michael Gough and Peter Cushing plus Christopher Villiers who I recognised in Mrs Sidhu investigates a week or so ago. One I didn't recognise though wa Ian McNiece a lot slimmer.