Would I Lie To You? Page 21

Quote: cwickham @ April 28 2011, 11:44 AM BST

Courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_5

Wow, some people out there actually track the scores of panel shows? That makes the tragic geeks running the BCG look hip.

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2011, 1:40 PM BST

WILTY? is far more at the guests' mercy than any other panel or guest-based show I can think of.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but I think the dynamic between the team captains is also a big part of it - I think over the series the producers have realised it and edited accordingly (notice that the quickfire round has changed and will more often than not contain Lee and David's turns only). Even if there's a bunch of disappointing guests they'll make up for it quite a way.

And I'd just like to point out that the entry for WILTY? on this site is still advertising guests from series 3 as being from the "upcoming series". Thanks.

Thanks for pointing that out. We've been incredibly busy recently and there's a lot of embarrassing out-of-dateness like that dotted around!

I've just spotted the forthcoming release of a WILTY DVD in July (although Amazon says September). Does anyone have more information on this?

What do you want to know?

Clarification of the release date, since you and Amazon say September but Play and HMV say July.

Also the exact nature: Play and Amazon have a runtime of 216 minutes, which wouldn't tally with a release of the complete series 4 despite the name.

The release has been put back from July to September.

I make 216 minutes equal to 8 episodes, the length of Series 4.

Each episode is about 29 minutes long. 29 x 8 is 232. And that's not including the Unseen Bits episode.

Also it states it's only 1 disc. Seems to me they'd split 8 episodes over 2 discs.

(Thanks for confirming the release date.)

A BBC series can actually be anything from 26 to 29 minutes per episode, normally closer to 28. I don't have Series 4 of Would I Lie To You? so can't check the run-time, but 216 / 8 makes 27 exactly. Well within the realms of a believable average runtime.

Details on the release are clearly still a little sketchy - no artwork, only 1 disc mentioned when there's no way they'll fit the quoted time onto just the one, etc. It's quite likely that at this stage, they just know they've bought the rights to 8 episodes and added up the average times accordingly, and that it'll all change in a few weeks.

I do have the runtimes to hand and they range between 28:52 and 29:09.

I admit this is probably splitting hairs given what little we know, though.

Ok, a slightly suspicious runtime on the face of it then, granted. As I say though, these details are often only approximate even after release, so given what little information is there, I'd still lean toward 216 being within a margin of error. (Not to mention any cuts they may have to make, etc.)

As for the Unseen Bits episode, if that is included it'll likely be an 'extra', which are rarely indicated in the main running time.

Of course, it is somewhat surprising that a panel show is being released in its entirety at all; I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it is in fact a compilation of the best of all 4 series to date.

I'll see if I can get some information from 4DVD during the week.

Yeah, I was thinking a compilation would be more likely. I'm just hoping for the uncut, 30-minute version of Kevin Bridges' horse story.

Thanks for your help.

(As a side note, DM's mentioned on Twitter a few times he expects series 5 to be shown in "the summer" or "around August").

I hope this comes back soon. I'm looking forward seeing a panel game with funny teams captains, unlike some of them. *cough*haveigotnewsforyou*cough*

Has anyone heard anything concrete about an airdate for Series 5? Lee Mack's All Star Cast ends the same week as The Rob Brydon Show returns, and I wonder if the Beeb would want two shows with the same people so close to each other... hope it doesn't get pushed back, seems like ages since these were recorded.

Likely to be September.