That Friday Quiz Page 188

But you did'nt post one yesterday steve.

It was a Bank Holiday so in that event it gets posted on a Thursday
There is only one a week unless I change my mind because I'm bored

Friday Quiz 5th February 2016
1. Who took their seat in parliament this week after a struggle lasting over 25 years? Ang San Suu Kyi
2. Which country has become the first to pass a law compelling supermarkets to donate unsold food to charities? France
3. What do Kermit, Orville and Dipsy have in common? They are all green
4. Name the film. Carry On Screaming

5. Which fizzy drink takes its name from the medical word for indigestion? Pepsi (dyspepsia)
6. Which popular 'ball game' was banned in New York City from the early 1940s to the mid 1970s? Pinball
7. Which French river has the same nam as an evergreen US female singer? Cher
8. What is the highest mountain outside Asia? Aconcagua
9. What links these pictures? Both products advertised in TV adverts by Nicole Kidman

10. Name the game. Frustration (will also accept Trouble for non-UK participants)
11. Which collection of synonyms was first published in the 1850s? Roget's Thesaurus
12. Which English city has a Hoe and a Sound? Plymouth
13. These traditional Scandinavian buns are flavoured with which spice? Saffron
14. Which one-time resident of Gravesend was the subject of a Disney film? Pocahontas
15. Who is the only living man to have appeared on a Swiss postage stamp? Roger Federer
16. What was the only means of creating a fire for the boys in the novel 'Lord of the Flies'? Piggy's spectacles

17. Who is this? Boudica / Boadicea

18. In a 100m race, I run at a constant speed for the whole race. Usain runs at twice my speed for the first 50m but then slows to ΒΌ of his original speed for the remainder of the race. At what point do I catch up with Usain? 75m (see below)

19. What connects these pictures: Southpark characters - Kenny, Eric (Cartman), Kyle and Stan

20. Unscramble the two words : A A B B I M N N O R T BATMAN & ROBIN

21 Seol

Maths workings:
Terry catches up with Usain at a distance of 25m from the finish line.

Let Usain's and Terry's speeds be 'r' and 's' initially.
Then we have for the first 50m, Usain's speed = Twice Terry's's speed i.e., r = 2s.

After the 50m mark, Usain's speed = 1/4th his original speed = Half of Terry's speed
i.e., r = s/2.

Now let Usain and Terry meet at 'X' m from the start line, after a time 't'.

Time taken by Usain to cover 'X' m = Time taken by Terry to cover 'X' m
(since they meet after having covered X m.)

Time taken by Usain to cover 'X'm =
(Time taken by Usain to cover first 50 m) + (Time taken by Usain to cover the remaining 'X-50' m) =
(50/2s) + ((X-50)/(s/2))
(since Usain's speed is 2s for first 50m and then onwards s/2)

Time taken by Terry to cover 'X' m = (X/s)
(since Terry ran at the same speed s throughout)

Hence
(50/2s) + ((X-50)/(s/2)) = (X/s)
25/s + ((2X-100)/s) = X/s
(25+2X-100)/s = X/s

Hence X = 25+2X-100 i.e., X = 75m
Thus Usain and Terry meet at a distance of 75m from the start line.

:O You didn't get this one Gordon?!

15. Who is the only living man to have appeared on a Swiss postage stamp? Roger Federer

3 Fair Isle

4 Aardvark

6 Belisha Beacon

10. Montserrat Caballe

13. Rio de Janeiro

21. David Coverdale

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st April 2016, 6:11 PM BST

:O You didn't get this one Gordon?!

I knew he's on a stamp but I didn't know the fact that he's the only living Swiss man to have received this honour. I suspect I just overlooked this question...if I had seen the word "Swiss" I'd have been thinking about this. Never mind.

19. con-
junction, crete, fuse, tent, spire

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 1st April 2016, 7:54 PM BST

I knew he's on a stamp but I didn't know the fact that he's the only living Swiss man to have received this honour. I suspect I just overlooked this question...if I had seen the word "Swiss" I'd have been thinking about this. Never mind.

Oh dear, your one moment of fame gone. :(

11 Shingle?

14 Mousey?

12.Hot Stuff-Donna Summer?
8.Rugby

Friday Quiz 12th February 2016
1. Five rainbows featured in a major rebranding this week - where? Channel 5
2. Whose formation caused controversy this week? Beyonce - her Superbowl performance of her song Formation
3. Which island, famed for its knitting, is situated midway between Shetland and Orkney? Fair Isle
4. Name the animal. Aardvark

5. Which internationally successful pop brothers were born on the Isle of Man? Bee Gees (Gibb brothers)
6. Which flashing road safety innovation of the 1930s was named after the minister of transport at the time? Belisha beacon
7. What can be the position of a note in the musical scale or a sticky black substance? Pitch
8. In what sport do you score one point for knocking the ball over the crossbar? Hurling. In other sports you would either kick or fist the ball over the bar for one point.
9. What links these pictures? All married to Kim. (Alec Baldwin; Kanye West; Andy Murray)

10. Who is this? Monserrat Caballe
11. What kind of 'cut' was closely associated with flapper girls in the Roaring Twenties? Bob cut
12. What is the only disco record enjoyed by the title character in 'The Martian'? Donna Summer's 'Hot Stuff'.
13. Name the city? Rio de Janeiro
14. Which brownish-grey colour derives its name from that of a small mammal? Taupe. (Fawn was a near miss, I think that is more the young of a mammal than a mammal per se).
15. In which Asian country is it tradition (since the 1930s) for women to give men chocolates this Sunday? Japan
16. A hand-made product from France (two words) was also the title of one of the best-selling singles of the late 1950s. What is it? Chantilly lace

17. Name the Shakespeare play. Richard III

18. My friend has three children. If at least one of her children is a girl, what is the probability that she has three daughters? 1/7. With three children, there are eight possibilities, only one of those is three boys, leaving 7 possibilities. Only one of those is three girls.

19. What connects these pictures: Can all be preceded by CON- (junction; Crete; fuse; tents; spire)

20. Unscramble the two words : A A B E G J M M M N O O R U MAGNUM & JEROBOAM
21 David Coverdale

11. What kind of 'cut' was closely associated with flapper girls in the Roaring Twenties? Bob cut

Mutter, mutter and I think I should get a point. To be precise, the Bob is what we call the cut today, but the question was what was it called in the Roaring Twenties...............

1920s: "The Shingle" haircut (above)

The "shingle" haircut, or as we know it today -- the classic bob. As skirt hemlines got shorter, so did ladies' haircuts. In the 1920s, a really short bob (especially at the back of the neck) with straight across-bangs that covered the ears was the "fashion-in" for ladies' hairstyles. In 2009, Katie Holmes and Victoria Beckham brought the bob back with a modern twist and many of us caught on. While some celebs proved that the bob is sleek and chic, it's a look that not everyone can pull off. Silent film star, Louise Brooks demonstrates the "shingle cut" above.

4.The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club

8.St Kilda

11.Clare Balding?

20 PLAZA SQUARE