The Fast Show

Unbelievably, there isn't an official thread for The Fast Show!

One of my favourite sketch shows of all time. Never quite understood the whole "it hasn't aged very well" accusations that get thrown at it, but that's a matter of opinion. Anyway, great writing and great acting.

One thing I would like to know is: are the live DVDs any good? Any original material on there or just rehashes of sketches we've seen on TV?

Someone's sat there, mate...

Probably my favourite sketch show of all time, and in the second series virtually every sketch works. And Ralph telling Ted his wife is dead in a drinking game is sublime.

Tomato.

I always liked Archie aka hardest game in the world - "You black are you? I was black meself for 30 years man and boy. IRIE!"

Fast Show is amazing. I miss it.

I loved The Fast Show and totally agree that the Ted & Ralph drinking game sketch is one of the funniest things ever.

"Tomato Ted aubergine your potato wife's turnip dead." Genius!

I don't know about the live DVDs but I saw the first live show live as it were. I seem to remember that some of it was rehashes but a lot of it was new material, although obviously with the same characters so pretty similar to the series. There's a great Ted & Ralph musical number though, possibly worth it just for that.

I have not seen a single episode or sketch of The Fast Show. Fact.

Should probably get around to it at some point.

I did love it when it was on.

Hated a few of the regular sketches though - the Scorchio ones at least. But there were a lot of great ones to make up for it.

I think that was why it worked so well, you didn't have to like all of the characters but it was so quick you'd have one of your favourites along soon after.

Quote: Aaron @ August 20 2010, 3:36 PM BST

I have not seen a single episode or sketch of The Fast Show. Fact.

Should probably get around to it at some point.

Aaron, I've been meaning to ask - have you ever seen any comedy at all? You seem to be building an extension with DVDs but never seem to 'get round to' watching any of them.

How is it possible to have avoided The Fast Show completely. Actually, part of me is impressed by that. :)

He was probably too young when it was on the first time.

Quote: Afinkawan @ August 20 2010, 12:31 PM BST

I don't know about the live DVDs but I saw the first live show live as it were. I seem to remember that some of it was rehashes but a lot of it was new material, although obviously with the same characters so pretty similar to the series. There's a great Ted & Ralph musical number though, possibly worth it just for that.

I saw that too, I think it was at the Hammersmith Apollo? It was brilliant, really fast paced, obviously, but I was amazed at how quickly they got into their costumes ready for the next sketch. Must have been exhausting!

I liked a Arabella's characters too, especialy the war correspondent and the make up lady.

I also loved the drunk old guy and the guy who was always caught in awkward situations. Forget the names of them all now though.

Quote: Tuumble @ August 20 2010, 8:18 PM BST

How is it possible to have avoided The Fast Show completely. Actually, part of me is impressed by that. :)

Easy: I was too young when it was on originally, and it's not repeated.

I've never seen it either, I was too young at the time and havent ever caught it on TV unlike other old comedies..I briefly saw a sketch on one of those '50 greatest comedies' programs.
Something about squeezy cheese or peas? Lol.
Any recommended sketches that I should watch to see if I like it?