Sherlock Page 46

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 9 2012, 3:39 PM GMT

Ooh, a double blowjob from sooty.

What kinda sonofabitch don't offer his main dude a reach around?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 8 2012, 4:06 AM GMT

As much as I respect your view on things Godot, I really think you've missed the point entirely. Sherlock, is without a doubt, one of the best written and acted shows on British television.

It really is head and shoulders above any drama which is currently being shown on any of the terrestial channels. Is it slightly bonkers? Yes. Is it fantastically well written? Yes.

I defy you to choose a better written and acted British show on TV at the moment.

Even my favourite Dexter has become embarrissingly shite. So come on Godot, name a better show.

Sherlock is two lbs 6oz of old cock. It isn't well-written at all. Good writing isn't about pissing out bon mots like Oscar Wilde on MDMA.

"I'm not hungry. Let's have dinner." Moffat was so pleased with this piece of verbal scrimshaw he made sure it was written on the screen as well as said. His time would have been better spent putting his shoulder to the wheel and crafting a credible and involving plot.

Everything I've ever seen by him is smutty, superficial nonsense. Have a scope of his writing cv on IMDb - it's surprisingly thin. He isn't really regarded as a writer of quality by anyone. I first became aware of him with 'Coupling' another brittle, heartless show that feels sodomised by it's own cleverness like Sherlock and Doctor Who.

As for Gatiss, he's less arrogant (in fact not arrogant) and so more likeable, if for nothing other than his eclectic taste, but he can't write that well either and has been hugely over-exposed over the last few years.

As for your challenge, I suspect that 'Public Enemies' despite the blandish title pisses all over anything Moffat's ever written - although I haven't seen it yet. Tony marchant is an outstanding, clear thinking writer who can land a good hard punch in the balls. Admittedly he isn't a light entertainment writer, so perhaps they shouldn't be compared.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 10 2012, 11:35 AM GMT

He isn't really regarded as a writer of quality by anyone.

Did you email everyone to ask?

Godot gets 10 points just for reminding me that the word "scrimshaw" exists.

Admittedly he isn't a light entertainment writer, so perhaps they shouldn't be compared.

Isn't that the point though? This is light-entertainment; and about as good as light entertainment on the Beeb gets at the moment, which is not to say it could not be a lot better, but does, for most - if not for you with your highly developed critical faculties - succeed in providing 90 minutes of attention holding, credibility suspending fun.

What is rather more depressing is that the Beeb so seldomly succeeds in attempting anything more ambitious.

Moffat can write pacy, funny, effective, imaginative, often interstingly plotted and put together thrill rides; and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for your challenge, I suspect that 'Public Enemies' despite the blandish title pisses all over anything Moffat's ever written - although I haven't seen it yet. Tony marchant is an outstanding, clear thinking writer who can land a good hard punch in the balls. Admittedly he isn't a light entertainment writer, so perhaps they shouldn't be compared.

When you do watch it, you might want to change your opinion re his clear thinking.
Thought it was a mess, myself.
Interested to hear your thoughts - though possibly this is a new thread.

As for your challenge, I suspect that 'Public Enemies' despite the blandish title pisses all over anything Moffat's ever written - although I haven't seen it yet.

Ooh, you might regret writing that. But I'm not here to defend Moffat, just the TV show called Sherlock.

I haven't seen it either but I suspect that 'Public Enemies' lacks the charm, humour and sheer enjoyment of Sherlock.

A gritty portrayal of the failings of the British parole system or the world's greatest detective taking on a lesbian dominatrix shagging the Duchess of Cambridge? Hmm, which one would I watch?

Public Enemies was aces clear sharp dramatic and issue driven.
With cracking performances

No it didn't feature a naked lesbian with a nice arse.

It did however have the luminesent Anna Friel being feminine yet steely.

Neither had a talking monkey called Mr Nanas.

I therefore call this a draw.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 10 2012, 11:52 AM GMT

Moffat can write pacy, funny, effective, imaginative, often interstingly plotted and put together thrill rides; and there's nothing wrong with that.

He's pacy and funny - no question, but I wouldn't give him imaginative - he's a terrible borrower.

What's most surprising about Sherlock is that people aren't complaining about the 'created by' credit. he has created nothing. The character is exactly as Conan Doyle wrote him. There is nothing new at all. Giving moriaty Loyd grossman's accent isn't inventive.

Watch me update the Poirot franchise with similar brio:

Poirot is a young detective living in arty farty block in Brooklyn. He wears skinny jeans, plays the Bala laika and has a circus moustache. He travels everywhere on a skateboard called Hastings.

Episode 1. Murder at the Orient Espresso.

Some c**t drops dead after drinking coffee... etc.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 10 2012, 3:35 PM GMT

Watch me update the Poirot franchise with similar brio:

Poirot is a young detective living in arty farty block in Brooklyn. He wears skinny jeans, plays the Bala laika and has a circus moustache. He travels everywhere on a skateboard called Hastings.

Episode 1. Murder at the Orient Espresso.

Some c**t drops dead after drinking coffee... etc.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

This is excellent, don't let Moffat see it, you're practically giving money away.

You're only a hop and a skip away from the single mother mixed race Miss Marple trying to hide her upper class upbringing whilst solving crimes on an inner city housing estate.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 10 2012, 1:21 PM GMT

A gritty portrayal of the failings of the British parole system or the world's greatest detective taking on a lesbian dominatrix shagging the Duchess of Cambridge? Hmm, which one would I watch?

For all I know, Moffat might be chomping on a ball gag right now - he's certainly written about bondage before - but seriously, a 'lesbian dominatrix shagging the Duchess of Cambridge?' - I cannot think of an idea more futile, empty of genuine provocation and old hat.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 10 2012, 3:42 PM GMT

You're only a hop and a skip away from the single mother mixed race Miss Marple trying to hide her upper class upbringing whilst solving crimes on an inner city housing estate.

Did somebody say Miss Marple?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 10 2012, 3:47 PM GMT

but seriously, a 'lesbian dominatrix shagging the Duchess of Cambridge?' - I cannot think of an idea more futile, empty of genuine provocation and old hat.

Crikey Godot, that is some imagination you have there, when someone mentions Sherlock Holmes to me, I think of Basil Rathbone in a deerstalker smoking a pipe, not dykey royals getting their bottys spanked.

All right, I do think about the Duchess of Cambridge getting her botty spanked, (usually by her sister Pippa) but I wouldn't put it on television.

What I'm trying to get across is that Sherlock is pure escapism at it's finest - the plot bounces along, the script sparkles with humour and wit, the performances are bold and engaging, the direction and editing are water tight and it makes 90 minutes whizz by at the speed of light.

Is it the finest British drama ever broadcast? No. Is it the finest British drama broadcast in the last 12 months? It is for me, as it doesn't get hung up on it's on pretentions or bloated sense of self worth.

Just as anyone can write a Moffat adaption, anyone can write a gritty murder thriller set Up North.

Quote: sootyj @ January 10 2012, 2:30 PM GMT

Public Enemies was aces clear sharp dramatic and issue driven.
With cracking performances

No it didn't feature a naked lesbian with a nice arse.

It did however have the luminesent Anna Friel being feminine yet steely.

Neither had a talking monkey called Mr Nanas.

I therefore call this a draw.

And you were happy with deus ex machina ending?