Worst American sitcoms inflicted on the UK Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ November 25 2009, 1:54 PM GMT

As for terrible US sitcoms, I shall nominate Scrubs. Nominally funny toward the start, but too moral-y, like later episodes of The Vicar Of Dibley. Just f**k right off. I'll go to church if I want some preachy morally shit, not sit down in front of my TV.

God yeah. Very funny to begin with, but the constant moral at the end of the episodes really grates after a while.

Quote: david carmon @ November 25 2009, 1:18 PM GMT

What's that American sitcom where the audience whoop and cheer whenever someone new comes on set and where every line gets a laugh when it's not even funny?

not an actual line from anything, just a typical unfunny comment

"Do You Want a Cheese & Bacon Bagel?"

"Yes I'd Love One!"

Cue audience hysterics.........

Any ideas which American sitcom it could be?

Oh it could be any number of them from the 70s and 80s in particular. Was it Not The 9 O'clock News that did a good send up of that? The Americans used to be terrible for that didn't they. I'd be watching one thinking what the bejeesibubs are these people laughing at?

Quote: Gavin @ November 24 2009, 9:19 AM GMT

Friends.
Will and Grace.

co-signed.

The worst one was the one with that American in it.

(No offence to Americans at all by the way :P )

If we go down the American route we won't meet the will of the individual.

Holmes and YoYo- featuring a robot cop who has partnered with a bungling Walter Matthau lookalike- how we laughed.

Big John Little John- scenario invovled a baldy middle age teacher called Big John who has taken a magic potion and magically changes in to an ugly fat kid with freckles called Little John and pretends to be his own nepehew. Every week Little john would be told he has just missed Big John who has just left the room.

Confused? You will be
(Now that's a good US soap)

For those of you who nominated Happy Days- Joanie Loves Chachi

I loathe King of Queens, According to Jim, 3rd Rock from the Sun .. I could go on and on. With reference to the first two shows, the type of sitcom where a fat lazy slob of a husband is married to a gorgeous thin 'does everything' kind of a wife irritates the hair off me. As if!!

Quote: Tristania @ December 20 2009, 1:19 AM GMT

I loathe King of Queens, According to Jim, 3rd Rock from the Sun .. I could go on and on. With reference to the first two shows, the type of sitcom where a fat lazy slob of a husband is married to a gorgeous thin 'does everything' kind of a wife irritates the hair off me. As if!!

Yeah, but what about Arthur? He's frickin' hilarious for Christ's sake!!

Have you actually watched the King of Queens? Doug is portrayed as more moronic and juvenile then lazy. The supporting cast is above par with Patton Oswald, Jerry Stiller and Nicole Sullivan... plus the actors I don't know off the top of my head like Deacon and the dumb cousin. The show delivers comedy if you give it half a chance.

As to the classic American sitcom tradition of a fat man and thin lady... blame that on Jackie Gleason. I think most comedy fans in America grew up watching
The Honeymooners and it's cartoon homage supreme The Flintstones. Set in stone that comedy formula is. The reverse doesn't work as well... jokes at fat women's expense seem to come across as more insensitive. The formula is more extreme on the spanish language channels here in the US. They expand it to a guy who looks like a dumpy Super Mario and a woman who looks like Jessica Rabbit.

Quote: MTpromises @ December 27 2009, 7:11 AM GMT

Have you actually watched the King of Queens?

That's a show I've never liked, at all. And I'm not being snobby, I really like 'Everybody Loves Raymond', which is more or less in the same ballpark.

I loathe King of Queens ... the type of sitcom where a fat lazy slob of a husband is married to a gorgeous thin 'does everything' kind of a wife irritates the hair off me. As if!!

That occurs to me sometimes too. But then I remember that Carrie is a whining, nagging, angryscary bitch who no one else would put up with. Plus, they love each other.

Haha!

I like all those shows (Raymond, King of Queens etc, even though every episode is just man does something stupid to annoy wife, arguments ensue.)

What's 'According to Jim'? I've never even heard of it...

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2009, 4:33 PM GMT

What's 'According to Jim'? I've never even heard of it...

Starred Jim Belushi. I think it was just another one of those sort of shows; he doesn something a bit stupid, wife gets mad. There might be more to it, I only ever saw about two minutes.

the type of sitcom where a fat lazy slob of a husband is married to a gorgeous thin 'does everything' kind of a wife irritates the hair off me. As if!!

I am resurrecting this thread in honour of New Girl.