That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 3 Page 5

I would point out that many of the Pythons also wrote sketches for The Two Ronnies, Soot. :)

Yup and Eric Idle wrote Splitting Heirs. I judge people by their highest not their lowest acheivments.

So Porridge will always cancel out the over rated drear fest of fork handles for me.

The man can't pronounce his aitches how very, very funny.

I knows what I likes.

Not to mention the sketch shows in the 60s the Ronnies did.

The 2 Ronnies was a massive backwards step for 2 talented performers and not a patch on Morecambe and Wise.

I watched it for the first time yesterday on iPlayer (I was busy Thursday) and really enjoyed it. I was in a silly mood so the flank patting sketch to find a book had me in stitches with the scissor bit as icing on the cake and I also loved Queen Victoria and the "smell of cum". :) Very funny stuff.

Mitchell and Webb really are the 'Fry and Laurie' of the 21st century, aren't they?

David Mitchell = Stephen Fry - both often play intellectual people. Both have long dark brown foppish hair. Both have a stocky build.

Robert Webb = Hugh Laurie - both play often thick people. Both have short light brown hair. Both are slim and tall.

Both double acts went to Cambridge and both were members of the Cambridge Footlights.

David Mitchell is unmarried and not known to have a girlfriend = Stephen Fry is gay and unmarried.

Robert Webb is married = Hugh Laurie is married.

It's really quite spooky how similar they are.

I was a huge Fry and Laurie fan. Wrote tragic letters to Stephen, who was lovely enough (and didn't have Twitter to distract him) to reply. BUT I think Mitchell and Webb are potentially better, esp based on Thursday's programme. A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie was very, *very* patchy.

I loved the first episode - but what were they thinking off with the dog/'alternative to the doorbell' sketch? HOW did that get in? It wasn't funny at all.

Quote: Ennie @ June 15 2009, 9:19 PM BST

I loved the first episode - but what were they thinking of with the dog/'alternative to the doorbell' sketch? HOW did that get in? It wasn't funny at all.

*tentatively puts hand up* I laughed!

Mitchell and Webb could have made a whole sitcom out of those two possibly gay party planners from series 1. It's a pity there was only 2 sketches with those characters.

Was the 'Brain Surgery' sketch done on radio first? It sounded familiar.

There's an old joke that's been doing the rounds for decades about a brain surgeon.

I don't watch Mitchell And Webb, but was he talking to a rocket scientist, who says that brain surgery is hardly rocket science?

Yep. It wouldn't shock me at all to learn there are other variants of this sketch however. I'd be mightily annoyed/frustrated if I were the person who originally came up with the idea. Don't know who is credited with writing this on M&W's show.

I thought Mitchell and Webb were the writers. Am I wrong?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 18 2009, 1:05 AM BST

I thought Mitchell and Webb were the writers. Am I wrong?

Doing my best Aaron and Mark impression: yes (as in "not the only writers"). https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/that_mitchell_and_webb_look/

Quote: johnny smith @ June 15 2009, 2:03 PM BST

Mitchell and Webb really are the 'Fry and Laurie' of the 21st century, aren't they?

David Mitchell = Stephen Fry - both often play intellectual people. Both have long dark brown foppish hair. Both have a stocky build.

Robert Webb = Hugh Laurie - both play often thick people. Both have short light brown hair. Both are slim and tall.

Both double acts went to Cambridge and both were members of the Cambridge Footlights.

David Mitchell is unmarried and not known to have a girlfriend = Stephen Fry is gay and unmarried.

Robert Webb is married = Hugh Laurie is married.

It's really quite spooky how similar they are.

I've thought that myself. You could have added both double acts weren't or aren't very good. Oh dear, I've said it now.

Quote: johnny smith @ June 15 2009, 2:03 PM BST

Both have long dark brown foppish hair.

Long? Well it's not a US-army cut, but I would hardly have called either of them long-haired!

Quote: Badge @ June 18 2009, 1:07 AM BST

Doing my best Aaron and Mark impression: yes (as in "not the only writers"). https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/that_mitchell_and_webb_look/

:D

Quote: Yellows 586 @ June 18 2009, 2:02 AM BST

You could have added both double acts weren't or aren't very good.

You could, but you'd be wrong.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ June 18 2009, 2:02 AM BST

I've thought that myself. You could have added both double acts weren't or aren't very good. Oh dear, I've said it now.

:O
Can you mean such things? :)