Britain's Best Sitcom Page 4

If only there was a sensible group of individuals round here who could come up with a better list... ;)

I'd be surprised if OFAH ever gets ousted from the no. 1 position. Without any doubt it's a quality show, but the myth around it seems to grow and grow. I think new generations will continue getting into the show for many years to come.

Quote: Ben @ 6th August 2014, 10:55 PM BST

I'd be surprised if OFAH ever gets ousted from the no. 1 position.

If people starting watching Steptoe & Son it might. Anyway what have myths got do with anything, Ben? There are a loads of myths about Wizard of Oz. It doesn't make it a better film than Casablanca. Or Life of Brian, come to that...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 7th August 2014, 3:03 PM BST

If people starting watching Steptoe & Son it might. Anyway what have myths got do with anything, Ben? There are a loads of myths about Wizard of Oz. It doesn't make it a better film than Casablanca. Or Life of Brian, come to that...

I liked the Wizard of Oz until I saw the film Walkabout. Now I don't know which one is the acurate portrayal of Austrailia, and which one is historically and geographically inaccurate.

To be honest I don't think you can define a 'best' sitcom. If I were to list my top five favourite sitcoms (enjoy/make me laugh the most) and the top five sitcoms I think are objectively the best written, performed, influential, original etc, there maybe some shows that would appear on both lists, it wouldn't be the same list.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 7th August 2014, 3:03 PM BST

I don't think so. Much as I love Galton & Simpson and Steptoe, there isn't nearly the variety of character and incident in that series as there is in Only Fools.

I find S and S uncomfortable viewing sometimes. But it is significantly deeper in emotional depth and truth. I love a good hot dog and I love a fine boeuf bourguignon too. I don't think I am alone in this.

Don't know if they are the best but my favourites (based primarily on re-watch-ability) would be:
- Father Ted
- IT Crowd
- Yes Minister
- Fawlty Towers
- Blackadder

With that said I think there may be more important shows like The Office, Dad's Army Only Fools and Horses and Alan Partridge but the above are my favourites. I even left off Spaced so not to annoy anyone since I'm just coming back.
I'd also like to note I didn't grow up in the UK and therefore didn't get to watch as many British sitcoms as most other people here meaning my choices might be flawed.

They need to reshow this. Here's a few more which should be up there:

The Inbetweeners

Derek

My Hero

The Rag Trade

Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps

Did anyone see the Channel 5 show last night? Blackadder was no.1 with OFAH falling at no.7 but it did include US shows. I didn't think the countdown was right as I didn't agree with some of the choices been in the top 10 such as Ever Decreasing Circles.

We need a new update of this BBC poll. Is there anyway we could get that sorted?

Quote: G180e @ 1st January 2015, 4:15 PM GMT

Did anyone see the Channel 5 show last night? Blackadder was no.1 with OFAH falling at no.7 but it did include US shows. I didn't think the countdown was right as I didn't agree with some of the choices been in the top 10 such as Ever Decreasing Circles.

We need a new update of this BBC poll. Is there anyway we could get that sorted?

I've recorded it and going to watch it soon. Did they really include US shows, I thought it would be a purely British thing.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 1st January 2015, 5:14 PM GMT

I've recorded it and going to watch it soon. Did they really include US shows, I thought it would be a purely British thing.

I watched it too, and yes they did include US sitcoms. I was disappointed by that to be honest.

Quote: smc4761 @ 10th July 2014, 6:44 PM BST

Could I be in a minority of one and say that I do enjoy MBB

I love Men Behaving Badly too!

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 11th July 2014, 8:36 AM BST

Yes, I agree that it's time to update the list. For what it's worth my favourites are:

Father Ted
The League of Gentlemen
One Foot in the Grave

I think I would almost be in agreement there,

I watched it and thought that some of the rankings were a bit strange. It was entertaining though.

Quote: G180e @ 1st January 2015, 4:15 PM GMT

Sorry, but can I just check please?

You don't rate EDC ?

EDC is in the top ten sitcoms of all time?

Not in several billion years

Ridiculous ...

Better than One Foot in the Grave?

Cobblers