Sitcom writing process

Hello,
Junt wondering about peoples approaches to writing..myself and writing partner
are working on a script at the moment. We began with the 2 main characters and a situation, after a couple of weeks we eventually had a solid 6 episode story arch with subplots and a basic scene struture for each episode,which were very happy with (not that it wont undergo major tweaking). now we've come to the actual 'writing' (of ep1).... this is the stage im interested to hear peoples thoughts on... whats we've opted for is to basically pad out the scenes with basic "unfunny" dialogue hitting the various marks required by each scene just to get a sense of it and have something to look at to see what the characters will have to react to, then obviously rewrite and rewrite.. so im just wondering, what are the main approaches in peoples experience to this stage of the process?

Holy shit you're organized. I tend to do it the other way around - I start off with funny characters and just start writing random funny dialogue to see if they fly or not. Then when I know the characters work well together, that's when I go back and think about where I can put them.

Then it's time to think up a story and verbally storyboard it, breaking down each scene into a paragraph or two explaining what happens.

Then I just start writing and the funny should come easily. That's how I work, for what it's worth.

What I would say is your scene breakdown isn't set in stone. As you write you'll find better ideas popping into your head that may have you wandering off-piste a bit, but that's okay. As long as the dialogue and action is always driving your story forward, that's fine.

Oh and remember the most important thng - if it's not making you laugh as you write it, it's probably shit.

Good luck!

I think of things I like and amuse me. I then amble about my life, and every now and then God tells me to add a line. I scribble it down in my unreadable short hand, and when the pad is full, start typing, after consuming about a kilo of caffeine, till 3 in the morning, whilst lustily singing along to Abba. My neighbours curled up in bed in fear. I also ask questions of all my characters, and try and think of at least two things they do to annoy each other.

wow - agree, very structured!

I just have a funny idea. My latest one was a bloke making a sex tape on an audio cassette...i then have a funny idea about how that winds up....and they just write organically to get from A to B and include a secondary story to inject along the way. Probably not very organised at all!

I just need to write about family...it's an ongoing saga.LOL

Don't think this thread should be in this section :D however:-

I use a mixture of the two methods mentioned above; although I’m writing radio plays at the moment rather than out-and-out sitcoms.

My method is to:-
Determine the overall theme of the piece (What you want to say)
Develop the characters fully. I even know someone who cuts out pictures from magazines etc who ‘become’ his characters…having them on view when writing their dialogue etc (although I thing that is a bit extreme…..and actually a bit weird but hey it works for him)
Then write;
Rewrite;
Rewrite;
Get a group of people to perform a read through;
Listen to their feedback;
Rewrite;
Rewrite.

I was recently shown a good tip:-

When you get a group of people to read the script (also a good idea before submitting anywhere) after a couple of pages get the readers to cover the left hand side (all the character names).
See how far the readers can continue (it totally screws up any comic timing etc).
The further they can get the stronger you’ve made identity of your characters (i.e. giving your characters individual voices).

I think it was someone like Armando Iannucci but probably not who said that writing a good sitcom is something like a mixture of composing music and advanced mathematics... or some such bollocks.

I'm a little concerned about the idea of starting to write a first episode by setting out a rigid structure with plot points etc. I think it's better to really get the tone and pace of the show worked out in your head. Your characters' voices etc. The sitcom script I've just finished in terms of plot-pointing, characterisation (indeed characters involved) and jokes I thought would make it into a final draft, is completely different to my initial first draft idea.

As is said a lot on this site... it's all about re-writing. If you start to write with a rigid formula in mind, you might make a rod for your own back. For example, you can get tied to a not-particulary good gag just because it's crucial to a plot or transition.

Writing the first episode of any sitcom is (IMO) the hardest, because you've got so much to establish in terms of premise, characters, tone and plot. Plus making it funny. If I think I've got a sustainable premise, I'm not too worried about episodes 2-6 and won't even spend time making notes for future episodes.

The first episode is the toughie and if it takes a long, long time to realise then so be it. But you've got to get the first episode right, because everything else hangs on it.

But what do I know? :)

Quote: Shane @ February 22, 2008, 1:34 PM

whats we've opted for is to basically pad out the scenes with basic "unfunny" dialogue hitting the various marks required by each scene

I was sort of with you up to there. But surely a comedy writer's initial problem should be too many jokes, if anything? I mean, I'm the sort of writer who when writing somethig serious has to stop himself from sticking gags in all the while. If writing funny stuff doesn't come naturally and you find yourself writing straight waiting for inspiration, that doesn't seem to bode well to me.

...?

Quote: Writer2K @ February 22, 2008, 3:46 PM

I even know someone who cuts out pictures from magazines etc who ‘become’ his characters.

I do that too!
It's not weird is it? Teary

All useful points above because I'm still learning. I've had nothing accepted yet except a couple of short plays to be performed and that's more by default.

But basically I would select a situation with potential - invent a couple of OTT characters for it then write, rewrite etc etc wtc.

Some people plan in great detail.

Others plan nothing. They just start writing and keep going till it's finished.

There's no 'best' way.

Whatever works for YOU is the right thing to do.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 22, 2008, 5:39 PM

I think it was someone like Armando Iannucci but probably not who said that writing a good sitcom is something like a mixture of composing music and advanced mathematics... or some such bollocks.

I'm a little concerned about the idea of starting to write a first episode by setting out a rigid structure with plot points etc. I think it's better to really get the tone and pace of the show worked out in your head. Your characters' voices etc. The sitcom script I've just finished in terms of plot-pointing, characterisation (indeed characters involved) and jokes I thought would make it into a final draft, is completely different to my initial first draft idea.

As is said a lot on this site... it's all about re-writing. If you start to write with a rigid formula in mind, you might make a rod for your own back. For example, you can get tied to a not-particulary good gag just because it's crucial to a plot or transition.

Writing the first episode of any sitcom is (IMO) the hardest, because you've got so much to establish in terms of premise, characters, tone and plot. Plus making it funny. If I think I've got a sustainable premise, I'm not too worried about episodes 2-6 and won't even spend time making notes for future episodes.

The first episode is the toughie and if it takes a long, long time to realise then so be it. But you've got to get the first episode right, because everything else hangs on it.

But what do I know? :)

I'll always do some chatting dialogue about a basic or broad plot point just to see how the characters work.

But I need a rigid structure so I know where's it going and it doesn't ramble.

Rob Grant said that the second episode is the hardest, because you have to show you know what you're doing. You can make the pilot very open so it shows it can go in any direction. But for me, the pilot is harder I'd say.

Re-writing is great - any bits where there are no jokes, I spend ages adding jokes. I love doing that.

Wow, thanks for the comments folks.. lots of food for thought there, in the end
I guess its a case of whatever works for the individual.. We were very aware of the potential danger of setting up too rigid a structure from the outset, but like the last poster, i think we find it easier to write when theres somekind of framework in place.. plus i think like some people were more interested in the narrative approach where the series has a start/middle/end and the most of the scenes are driving that forward (thats not to say we dont have gags) ..were almost finished the first draft of ep1, so it'll be interesting to see how the rewrites go.... anyway, an interesting discussion in any case.......

Everyone's so organised!

We were just like 'Lets write a sitcom' then in the first 10 minutes we'd come up with characters and plot ideas for 6 epesodes (which have changed quirte a bit). At first I didn't expect the project to last until the end of the day... I'm doing most of the writing (I'm just obsessed with writing really...) and am more or less making it up as I go along, but including bits we'd decided on...

Moving to Writers Discussion.