Each year, the Edinburgh Comedy Awards invites three comedy fans to join the industry figures on its judging panel.
Entry is now open to apply to be on the 2018 panel. The deadline to enter is 25th May 2018. Those selected will get to go to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August for free, see over 100 shows across two weeks, and help decide who wins the major awards.
The organisers say: "We are offering you the chance to join the judging panel for the Edinburgh Comedy Awards, Britain's most important prize for comedy. You will be deciding both the most outstanding original comedy act and the best newcomer comedy act at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe."
Talking about the criteria, they add: "You need to be a regular visitor to live comedy and have bags of energy. You will be expected to see six shows a day; you'll be feeding back your opinions of what you've seen and contributing to official panel meetings and the process of finding the winners."
Alex Caven, who was one of the 2017 panellists, says of her experience: "As a judge for the Edinburgh Comedy Awards, I felt like all my Christmases and birthdays had come at once! As a massive comedy fan, I entered the panel competition and was over the moon to be selected. I lived the dream. I watched 124 of the best and worst that Edinburgh Fringe has to offer. I met some really great people and have had an experience I will never be able replicate or forget. It can be tiring, it can be thrilling and as it is Edinburgh in the summer, it can also be very wet, but it was amazing to be part of an award institution that I have followed for many years."
The winner must be available to stay in Edinburgh from 8th to 26th August, so it may mean booking time off work. However, the Edinburgh Comedy Awards will provide you with accommodation, travel, show tickets and invitations to the best parties in town. Full terms and conditions are below.
How To Enter
1. Write, in approx 350 words, why you are the best candidate.
2. Write three short reviews, no more than 150 words each, about your three favourite live comedy acts.
3. Send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org, or Edinburgh Comedy Awards Panellist, 1st Floor, 44 Maiden Lane, London, WC2E 7LN.
Entries must reach the awards team by 25th May 2018 at 12pm. If you are shortlisted, you will be required to attend an informal interview in London on 14th June or 15th June. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
The winners will be announced at the end of June.
Full terms and conditions
1. Entrants must be 18 or over and resident in the UK.
2. Entrants must be available full time and able to reside in Edinburgh from 8 - 26 August.
3. The competition is not open to employees of the Festival Fringe Society or anyone connected professionally with the comedy business.
4. The prize is a position on the Edinburgh Comedy Awards judging panel for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2018. The winner must attend approximately six shows a day, possibly more, and provide short reviews for all shows attended.
5. Only one entry per person.
6. The winners will be chosen by the Award Director Nica Burns and the decision is final.
7. The prize is nontransferable. There will be no cash prize.
8. No responsibility will be taken for entries lost, delayed or incomplete.
9. All costs incurred by the winners other than travel and accommodation are at the winner's expense.