The Young Ones - deleted scenes

I was listening to commentary on the second disc of the Doctor Who ‘Trial of a Time Lord' set, when Colin Baker, whilst discussing Christopher Ryan's appearance, mentioned he was in a cut scene in The Young Ones.

Apparently the filmed scene zooms into a record Mike is placing on the turntable and Baker plays the Evil Count Dust Bag, an old style villain (twirling his moustache) who ties a helpless female to a groove awaiting the needle to arrive like a train.

That sounded pretty awesome to me. I scoured Youtube but found nothing. Anyone know where this may exist? MY Young Ones DVDs came with no features (typical region 4). Is it (and perhaps other deleted scenes) on the American release?

Does anyone know?

That scene sounds quite funny. I have never heard of it before even though I have trawled the net for info on The Young Ones

I bought the fairly recent 25th Year Anniversary Box Set, which us fans of The Young Ones were led to believe would be crammed full of extras, cut scenes, interviews etc. The holy grail of box sets.

But was it? Not remotely as much as we hoped for. There is a third disc that has three documentaries on it. One is interviews with (from memory) Nigel Planer, Lise Mayer, Alexi Sayle, Paul Jackson and Mark Arden. It is interesting but nothing really that an ardent fan would not have already heard before or sought out from the internet. It is notable that Rik, Ade, Ryan and Elton are no where to be seen - which considering the apperent importance of the 25th year anniversary seems pretty weird to me.

The next doco was looking at the birth and explosion of the alternative comedy scene in the late 70's and early 80s. Again interesting for what it is but nothing more than that. The third doco looks at all the comedy and acting talent that appeared in the shows in addition to the main guys.

The shows themselves were not the complete uncut versions that were promised. Instead I think they were the original BBC cuts as shown in the 80s. Although the songs are back, other things (such as the bonking teddy bears) are missing.

It was also said that this set would have lots of outtakes (which hopefully may have included the Tom Baker scene you mention) as well as a meeting of Rik, Ade, Planer, Ryan etc recorded especially for this set where they talk about there time on the show. None of this happened.

I'd really like to find out more about what's been left in and what's been removed. I'm sure I'd read that these are fairly complete, apart from the teddy bears (which was apparently not in the original broadcast, but merely on the VHS release?), and one of the subliminals, removed by request of Ross McWhirter in time for the first lot of repeats.

I think they should reunite and do a series called the ''now we are either very unfunny and failing miserably in mainstream comedy or nowhere to be seen , so here we are reunited as the old ones'' or , they could just call it oatibix.

It's not included in the box set I have entitled: The Young Ones - Every Stooopid Episode.

I got a VHS years ago off eBay of outtakes and various takes. It was probably the most dullest thing I ever watched. I think there were a few little special effects shots e.g. the talking lightbulb being filmed without the effects on.

Quote: Ben @ November 13 2008, 3:57 PM GMT

I got a VHS years ago off eBay of outtakes and various takes. It was probably the most dullest thing I ever watched. I think there were a few little special effects shots e.g. the talking lightbulb being filmed without the effects on.

Well the lightbulb thing sounds pointless... otherwise might be time to pay YouTube a visit if there's anything cool on there.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 26 2008, 3:54 AM GMT

might be time to pay YouTube a visit if there's anything cool on there.

There are a few good things on You Tube. There are out-takes for SPG and the spies in the log cabin (You've got to get to Geneva tonight...) As well as clips of the stage show. You can also look at clips of Boom Boom, Out Go the Lights where you can see the bare beginnings of Rik and Neil.

Def.

I meant Ben should upload stuff from that VHS if he can.