Ken Campbell RIP

Sad news indeed.

RIP

I only know him from Fawlty Towers, but RIP all the same and that.

I never saw his stage shows, but he was a splendid TV character actor. He would have been a great Doctor Who.

Quote: Griff @ September 1 2008, 12:58 PM BST

Graham - don't know whether you knew this, but Ken Campbell was auditioned and turned down for the part of Dr.Who when Sylvester McCoy was cast.

I was vaguely aware of this. He'd have been immense.

Quote: Griff @ September 1 2008, 12:58 PM BST

Aaron, you probably know him from In Sickness And In Health as well, where he played Alf's neighbour Mr.Johnson.

I know, but I've never seen In Sickness And In Health, so don't.

No f**king way! I loved this man and his mad shows, with his shopping basket and his dogs. Even if they did last for bleedin' hours and you often wouldn't know what the flip he was talking about!

Truly unique.

Cheers Ken!

(My second posting today and both have been in memorium)

He was in Brookside as well, playing Oscar. And, after Harry Cross, it's best ever character.

Shit, when did this happen?

A great character actor. His theatre work was brilliant.

Of course, he only ended-up appearing in Fawlty Towers ('The Anniversary') at the very last minute, when due to industrial action the recording had to be postponed and the original actor was double-booked and had to drop out.

He was superbly nasty in 'In Sickness & In Health' as the neighbour, especially in the episode where's he's in the pub proudly (and seedily) discussing his pride in seeing his (glamour model) daughter's tits in 'The Sun'.

RIP.

Bloody hell, first Geoffrey Perkins and now Ken Campbell. RIP both, and thanks for the laughs. Hopefully the rule of three brings its usual twist and somebody shit dies next.

RIP Ken. Great in 'In Sickness and in Health' and great as Roger in the classic 'Fawlty Towers' installment 'The Anniversary'

I remember him.

Shame he's gone.