Subplot

How much importance do other writers hold in the inclusion of a subplot in each episode of a sitcom? Is it used simply to add an extra dimension to the story and to provide extra joke material? I find it quite easy to come up with what I think are decent plots, but the issue of subplot is making me doubt my ability because they confuse me.

What are other people's thoughts on this? Can anyone say anything to give me back my sense of self worth, thus allowing me to stand tall and proud again?

Stu

I think it's vital to have at least two stories going on so you keep the viewer/listener interested.

Ideally, I come up with two unrelated stories that impact each other in the last few scenes and both get resolved by the end.

That's how I do it anyway.

Dan

A subplot is a MUST, in my opinion anyway and I think in many others opinions. Running a 30 minute episode with just one main plot would be difficult and could very well make the viewer lose interest, with a subplot running through it allows you to switch between scenes, include other characters and provides for more material to be used.

I'm the same as Swerytd, I usually have two stories sometimes three and switch between them throughout the episode and then within the last couple of scenes they tie up together.

I think subplot is quite important as it keeps the audience's interest and reduces the amount of lines you have to write for each plotline.

Meanwhile, in another opinion

I don't think its the most important thing to have a subplot, it helps the stroy move along but things work without it e.g. road movies

I can't agree more I have had to re-write a lot of my pilot because the sub plot is pants... but fortunately my main plot is heavily dominate, so in theory you can last without one but a sub plot is helpful especially if they collide at the end like swery mentioned.

I watched that Living with Two People (Whatever the Hell it was called!!!) BBC Pilot thing. And I can't remember any subplots on that and it felt "cardboardy". I think their was something about a father day gift, but that was with the same character.