what do these people want

does anybody know of a site where you can see a spec script of a now produced sit-com.I have asked this question on another site but have had little response. I have read various scripts from sites and books which are the finished article, from listening to othere people that could be the result of a few monthe and a good few re-m writes later. The reason is that i am trying to see if i am missing anything obviuos when i send mine in. Of course i may be missing the most obvious thing of all , that my scripts are just not any good. Or maybe i just got unlucky and got a reader with a humour by-pass.

Johnny26

You can send the same script in to the same person, months apart, and depending on whether they spilled their coffee that morning, or not, get two different responses.

It is a subjective business. Everyone's opinions are in flux. It's a matter of getting feedback, comments, and then getting your revisions out to as many people as possible to maximise the chance of catching a favourable reader on a good day.

Hi Johnny

I found this a while back which was really good in showing the differences between the first draft and another draft and how stuff develops from script to screen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/getwriting/marigoldscript

I've tried to get the 'read the first extract' and 'read the second extract' (under 'The Script') to load up but just get redirected to the 'getwriting' home page (is anyone else getting this too? Might just be me)

I remember this showed me the differences really well when I read it.

I've got the final draft of the script saved to my PC, but it's next to useless without the first draft (which I believe won a writing competition and was, to be quite frank, not really that impressive, especially next to the final draft!)

The whole process thing ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/getwriting/marigoldjacob ) may be of use to you though Johnny.

Hope it helps

BTW, for everyone else too, the second link has two links to 'writing comedy' and 'sitcom writing' that are well worth reading.

Dan

great i had better go and get them out of the bin

Thanks
Johnny26

thanks Dan a big help i'll try and give it a look now

Johnny26

Quote: swerytd @ February 8, 2007, 12:26 PM

I've tried to get the 'read the first extract' and 'read the second extract' (under 'The Script') to load up but just get redirected to the 'getwriting' home page (is anyone else getting this too? Might just be me)

I get this too.

I read the Marigold script on the Writers Room page a year or so ago and personally, found it pretty lame. To discover that this has been worked on to that extent and still isn't great, in my view, is surprising to say the least.

i have tried to get on but can't get a thing.
what is your opinion of re-titling a script and sending it back in again hoping to get a differant reader??

Johnny26

Well, never tried it!

Maybe send to a different production company rather than the same place?

Have you got a critique back telling you what they think is wrong or just standard rejection? If you've got any feedback, I'd work on what they've said.

Or post opening few scenes (or more) here and we'll give you our amateurish advice ;)

Dan

i got a couple of enjoyed reading it, and liked the characters but it's not for us type thing. i assume that is standard rejection thing ?

Johnny26

Nowt to work with if they don't tell you what's wrong!

Post a couple of scenes and we'll give you feedback or check the production companies list and enquire with them about if they'll accept unsolicited submissions.

Think there's a thread on here somewhere with the list in.

EDIT: Indeed there is, look for hotzappa's post in the following: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/669

Some production companies need a polite 'do you accept submissions?' email beforehand, though someone else should be able to confirm if this is true.

Dan

Imo, I think if you want to send something to any production company, you should send them an e-mail just incase. It's polite. Cool

has anybody tried sending anything direct to producers or editors on spec from the radio tomes
Johnny26