In praise of 'Sensitive Skin'

On the advice of a mate, and with nothing better to do this Bank Holiday, I started watching the first series of 'Sensitive Skin' on DVD this evening and well wow. I'm absolutely in love with this show and with the gorgeous Joanna Lumley - I watched the whole thing all the way through, just amazing television, beautiful music, perfect balance of drama and comedy, stunning cinematography and sharp tight writing. It's now with a sense of sadness I await watching the second series - Al is dead, the sense of grief I feel is almost as equal to that I experienced a few weeks ago when it was confirmed that Gil ('Love Soup') was no more. So I ask you to please assure me that the second series of SS is as good and doesn't suffer the loss of Al.

I've read up a little on the writer/director/producer Hugo Blick and see he's done a series called 'Marrion and Geoff' - this looks absolutely awful, I find Rob Brydon to be quite unpleasant and whole cuckolding and distraught father act sounds very bleak and unfunny, anyone care to put me right? And the whole Keith Barrat spin-off - is this a televisual experience I should avoid?

I eagerly await everyones thoughts.

Quote: Griff @ May 26 2008, 10:08 PM BST

We can't "put you right" as it's all subjective. But I thought Marion And Geoff was a fantastic show, sublimely funny and very poignant in places.

Very true - I guess I'm looking for an endorsement of sorts. Huh?

Marion And Geoff is great, a terrific show. It wont be to everyones taste though as it is, basically, one fixed camera in the front of a car which Brydon talks to; there are no other characters featured, every show is basically a monologue. But 'tis great stuff.

Yes, I loved Sensitive Skin too. Hugo Blick is not a million miles away in outlook from David Renwick who also refuses to deliver a 'and they all lived happily ever after' ending. (Used to date a girl who put you in mind of Joanna Lumley). The real-life intelligent Joanna Lumley not the camp one in Ab Fab. But I've posted about that on another thread, so end of.

Don't see why you found Rob Brydon 'unpleasant', but I agree with Griff that Geoff and Marion was fantastic. Does two positive posts constitute the beginnings of an official 'put you right' about RB and G&Marion?

Oops! Make that 3 positive posts - definitely the beginnings of an endorsement to 'put you right' about G&Marion.

Well, I only JUST managed the first episode of Sensitive Skin. Didn't grab me at all. Far too bleak.

But for the purposes of what little use it may be, I loved The Keith Barret Show. Never saw Marion and Geoff though.

It's the first time I've ever thought I'd quite like to live on a boat.

With all the sailors and the gayness? I'm shocked! :O

Laughing out loud

Yes the boat series - not quite as good, though not unsurprising due to the loss of Al, still trying get my head round the conclusion, are we to believe this new Al is the 'one' - not at all what I expected, and quite disappointing from Hugo Blick who seemed (judging by the rest of the series) to be an extremly intelligent and thoughtful writer. Errr

I have just started watching this and predictably, I love it. I love that it is a sophisticated, mature story about urbane characters who seem to have everything materially, but there is somethin emotionally missing. It has motivated dialogue that is sometimes amusing, rather than gags, and not a lot has to happen, it studies the characters. No laugh track either. Very bold choices and very good acting. I've found another one to love. <3

I like it too - that's a first! Agreeing with Todd.

It probably helped having Joanna Luvley in it - but it was very bitter sweet comedy drama.

Quote: Chappers @ March 24 2011, 9:13 PM GMT

I like it too - that's a first! Agreeing with Todd.

It probably helped having Joanna Luvley in it - but it was very bitter sweet comedy drama.

:D