what got you hooked? Page 2

Quote: Wheeler @ February 2, 2007, 11:45 AM

The Monkees also cracked me up. They showed it during school holidays and it was the sort of show that was aimed at kids but your parents could watch it with you.

Glad to see the Monkees creeping into somebody else's list! I think you're right about school hols, but it was also on very early on Saturdays. I used to watch that then Battle of the Planets. Monkees made me want to be a comedy writer, BotP made me want to be a space ninja. And now, here I am. Neither.

I used to watch Blackadder and the Monty Python films obsessively when I was little. My friends thought it was crap. Bastards.

I also randomly loved Les Dawson.

But the first comedy that I actually identified with was Vic and Bob in about 1990. Then Lee and Herring. But Emma Kennedy made me want to write it.

Yeah, watching vic and Bob when i was about thirteen first made me think about doing comedy.

I really don't remember what really got me into comedy, but as far as my writing aspirations go, Little Britain. If something that simplistic can get on the TV, I certainly can.

Just need the right connections...

When I was at school I used to doodle little cartoons to make my mates laugh. I've always liked to be creative. I think what decided me to have a go at writing sitcoms was Game On. It's very silly, but I just love it and all the little words and phrases they came up with.

Although I've always leaned towards American 50's & 60's icons like Phil Silvers (Bilko) and Abott & Costello etc, it was the alternative scene in the 80's that influenced me. The exact moment was when I saw the Comic Strip at the Rainbow is something I've not forgotten and I've even got the LP to keep that memory forever - yeah, Mills & Boon eat your hearts out.