Carry On 18 DVD Boxset. Ridiculously cheap.

18 DVDs for £17.99 (including P&P) at HMV? Absolute madness...

http://tinyurl.com/4zpxb6

Not bad, not bad - I'm waiting for the full set with original artwork (at good price!), or would be very tempted. :)

I thought you might! As someone who is simply reminiscing watching all the Carry On movies as a young pup with my Grandad, and who doesn't own any of the movies at present, I'm snapping it up.

I find if I ever want to watch Carry on movies I just turn on UKTV gold after 3pm on a sunday Laughing out loud

They didn't show one yesterday.

And what if you want to watch one on Tuesday morning? Or they play Carry On England when you want to see Carry On At Your Convenience? Eh eh eh?

I'll live.

DVD recorder?

No seriously... I can live very happily without ever watching a carry on movie ever again.

Was never a Carry On fan. Rather like 'Are you Being Served' the innuendo was okay, but not on the same realistic level as On the Buses. Sid James was so much better in 'Two in Clover' and 'Bless this House'

Quote: Paul W @ April 7 2008, 10:37 PM BST

No seriously... I can live very happily without ever watching a carry on movie ever again.

*finds 'demote' button*

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 7 2008, 11:09 PM BST

Was never a Carry On fan. Rather like 'Are you Being Served' the innuendo was okay, but not on the same realistic level as On the Buses. Sid James was so much better in 'Two in Clover' and 'Bless this House'

*loud buzzer sound* Incorrect! Bless This House is one of my favourite sitcoms - if not number one - but I must disagree. The films gave Sid a chance to shine in a way that the more mainstream nature of television could not.

Without doubt- Sid is more famous for the Carry On films. But I just wasn't a fan of them. For me, he was more suited in a good old half hour sitcom. He was brilliant in: Hancock's Half Hour, Citizen James, Two in Clover and Bless this House. I read an article about him in 'Loaded' a good few years back and it said: Sid even found time to work himself through the bland Bless this House scripts.

Sorry, can't agree with that. Reading a book about 60's television there was an article about James's work with scriptwriters Vince Powell and Harry Driver. They wrote 'George and the Dragon' for Sid for the ITV network ATV. It ran for 4 series (1966-1968). Another series was comissioned but by which time- Powell and Driver had signed contracts with Thames, so they weren't allowed to write anymore for George and the Dragon. But Sid thought so much of the writers he to joined Thames. That year- 1969- Powell and Driver were writing the brilliant and sadly forgotton Two in Clover for Sid. Series one, the black and white series was filmed in the studio and audiences were amused at horses, cows and sheep peeing etc. in the studio. In 1970, series 2 went out in colour. This series was filmed outside, not in the studio, but in real fields etc. This was too expensive so the show criminally got axed. In 1971 Powell and Driver created one more sitcom for Sid, Bless this House which lasted for six series. But, in an American format, other writers also contributed scripts. Powell and Driver wrote 12 of the 65 episodes until Harry Driver died in 1973 aged 43. He had suffered Polio and was paralysed for some time. His head was the only thing he could move.

Anyway I hope there was some useful infomation for you sitcom lovers there.

Wow, yes, some nice info there. Out of interest, which book was this? *gets credit card at the ready*

'That was the Decade that Was' by Richard Webber:

See Amazon product listing

Ah, reading a couple of Webber books at the moment already. He's rather good. I shall pur-chase a copy. :)

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 7 2008, 11:09 PM BST

See that's where I don't quite understand you.

ITV comedy could never compare to the BBC - those you mention to my mind are really bland.

Carry-ons are traditonal English - and they're ridiculously cheap because they've all been given away by the Sun.