Written by/Created by Page 2

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2008, 5:15 PM BST

The format is created, the script is written. Two different things.The BBC for example are keen on long running/team written shows - which means different writers but usually only one or two format creators.

Yeah but written by means the format as well UNLESS otherwise stated.

You'll never get both a created and a written by if it's the same person, it's a waste of screen space really.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 5 2008, 5:20 PM BST

Yeah but written by means the format as well UNLESS otherwise stated.

You'll never get both a created and a written by if it's the same person, it's a waste of screen space really.

No it doesn't.

And. Yes you do.

:)

Yes, Written and created do appear every so often actually.

Quote: Paul W @ April 5 2008, 5:32 PM BST

Yes, Written and created do appear every so often actually.

Gauntlet thrown down.

Anyone care to find an example?

Have a look at My Hero, Vicar of Dibley, My Family for starters

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2008, 5:29 PM BST

No it doesn't.

And. Yes you do.

Yes it does.

Written by means created by unless stated.

Father Ted is 'written by', Hippies was 'Created by' and 'written by' because it was written by Mathews alone.

Red Dwarf 7 and 8 were 'created by' then 'written by' because Rob Grant had left and didn't write. The first six were simple 'by' I think.

ooh and my favourite sitcom of all time...... 'Dad's Army'

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2008, 5:48 PM BST

Have a look at My Hero, Vicar of Dibley, My Family for starters

Because the creators may not have written the episode, I just explained that.

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2008, 5:49 PM BST

ooh and my favourite sitcom of all time...... 'Dad's Army'

Don't knoew about that one, but Perry and Croft didn't write together ever so that was more a Lennon/McCartney set up.

'The BBC for example are keen on long running/team written shows - which means different writers but usually only one or two format creators.'

yeah. I tink I explained it first. :)

Marc

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2008, 6:44 PM BST

'The BBC for example are keen on long running/team written shows - which means different writers but usually only one or two format creators.'

yeah. I tink I explained it first. :)

Marc

"Created by is only used when the show was written by someone else"

No, I did :D

I think you mean the episode. But we kind of agree so I'll say no more.

Mind you when you said. 'You'd never have both, it'd be a non-sequiter.' I think you meant tautology, which might have added to the confusion.

;)

Quote: Marc P @ April 5 2008, 6:55 PM BST

I think you mean the episode. But we kind of agree so I'll say no more.

Mind you when you said. 'You'd never have both, it'd be a non-sequiter.' I think you meant tautology, which might have added to the confusion.

;)

Yes, I did - you cheeky scamp!

Tautology - I had to look that one up. "a statement of propositional logic which holds for all truth values of its atomic propositions"

I still don't get it. I must be fick or sumfin

I don't know about that.. it means saying the same thing twice. A verdant green field etc etc.

It's all about the money at the end of the day. Doesn't matter what it says on the credits, get the contract that's right for you. Whether it be receiving your fair share of the money, or of the intellectual rights to the show, or both. The language used on the credits can become mere semantics, the contract what really matters.