Is Hitchhikers a sitcom? Page 2

Yeh I was very upset when he died. He was a very rare thing, he was wise.

Quote: sootyj @ March 16, 2008, 11:15 AM

realize

realise*

Of course Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a sitcom.

Otherwise every one of them can be separately categorised.

(How do you get H2G2 by the way?)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Oh right - shouldn't is be 2H2G then?

In that case, wouldn't we have 2HO?

I had a simmilar discussion with a friend of mine who insisted that Kingdom was a sit com. He is stil adamant that he is right.

I think the problem is the narrowness of the definition of sitcom. I write from the point of view of a writer. With a distinctive fear of getting my progressive/developmental comedy scripts dumped, as they're obviously not sitcom.

Quote: sootyj @ March 16, 2008, 11:59 AM

Well for all his genius, he was famously lazy. Didn't stop him being a visionary genius, funny guy, and all round top bloke.

I don't think he was lazy, Soot, he did famously suffer from writer's block though. (And wrote, with John Lloyd, the wonderful Meaning Of Liff books.)

Quote: Andrew M Bedell @ March 17, 2008, 9:50 AM

I had a simmilar discussion with a friend of mine who insisted that Kingdom was a sit com. He is stil adamant that he is right.

Does anyone remember the 'Guiness Book of Sitcoms' which included Monkey, Quantum Leap and Batman (the Adam West series) all as Sitcoms? Now there's a wide definition.

Kingdom is simply not funny enough to be a sitcom - nothing against the show, but I rarely laugh at a single line. It is surely a gentle comedy drama in the same vein as All Creatures Great and Small.

Quantum Leap? 2 fixed characters, in a fixed unchanging setting (albeit of course some features change). It probably is a non comic sitcom.

Quote: Andrew M Bedell @ March 17, 2008, 9:50 AM

There aren't enough jokes for it to be a sitcom. It is a drama with some laughs along the way/