British Comedy Guide

A particularly funny Fry and Laurie sketch

A Bit Of Fry & Laurie. Image shows from L to R: Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry.

A Bit Of Fry & Laurie

A TV sketch show which helped launch the careers of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie and set them on their way to comedy super-stardom

zooo

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 4:30pm
  • England
  • 68290 posts

I don't think there could ever be anyone as good at writing sketches as they are.

Matthew Stott

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 5:17pm [Edited]
  • Yemen
  • 19296 posts

They are great, I have a big thick hardback book that contains all the sketches and vox pops bits from the first three series and its a wonderful read. As for them working together again, With Laurie tied up with House, I cant see that happening in any major way until that character limps off screen for good, but I have heard both of them say that they want to work on something new together at some point in the future. Soupy twist.

Aaron

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 5:23pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 67263 posts

And on that note, Jeeves & Wooster is about to start on ITV3. (Channel 10 on Freeview.)

Matthew Stott

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 5:30pm
  • Yemen
  • 19296 posts

Heres another of my favourites:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3CWlLoKiQ

As for Jeeves and Wooster, Ive never actually watched an episode of that; worth a look?

And to anyone on here who really does want to write sketches and doesnt own A Bit Of Fry And Laurie; well, buy it.

zooo

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 5:35pm
  • England
  • 68290 posts

It is fun, but nothing like their sketches.
I am watching it now too. I always think they should be the other way around, but I suppose that's why they did it.

Aaron

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 5:37pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 67263 posts

Yes, definitely worth a look! It's a great series, and really shows them working together brilliantly. Smilie

Quote: zooo @ March 2, 2008, 12:35 PM

I always think they should be the other way around, but I suppose that's why they did it.

Really? I think they're perfect as it is. Hm. I've not really watched much of A Bit of Fry and Laurie yet though, and saw QI long before Jeeves & Wooster. Maybe that's why. Intriiiiiiiguing.

Ben

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 6:06pm
  • England
  • 18251 posts

They've been a big influence on my writing.

I've tried to like Jeeves and Wooster, but never been able to manage it.

T.W.

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 6:28pm
  • England
  • 15784 posts

"Mrs Popey - we may be stupid but we're not clever."

Lee

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 6:35pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 36240 posts

Loved the Alan sketches.

T.W.

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 8:53pm
  • England
  • 15784 posts

Incidentally, BBC7 are repeating the excellent radio series 'Saturday Night Fry' at the moment. Well, worth checking out for anyone who didn't hear it back in the 90's.

Matthew Stott

• Sunday 2nd March 2008, 9:17pm
  • Yemen
  • 19296 posts
Quote: Tim Walker @ March 2, 2008, 3:53 PM

Incidentally, BBC7 are repeating the excellent radio series 'Saturday Night Fry' at the moment. Well, worth checking out for anyone who didn't hear it back in the 90's.

Yes, a really good show; I (coughs) aquired it of a site somewhere.

Magnus D

• Wednesday 5th March 2008, 3:07am
  • Kirkwall, Scotland
  • 83 posts

I love this show. I've watched it through at least three times and it never fails to make me laugh. Stephen and Hugh work so well together.

What about the brilliant Peter and John sketches ("Dammit Peter. Dammit John"). Or the superb Tony and Control sketches. And Hugh's songs are also very good (especially when Stephen gets involved and punches Hugh).